cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broadband Stops/Stalls

PAGillings
Joining in

Hi, Customer since late December. Broadband stops dead increasingly often. Just for 30 seconds or more and then resumes. If I'm streaming music however, I have to re-start my playlist because the connection has been completely lost. It's very frustrating and I don't feel that I'm getting value for money. If I run the test thing it says it's all okay. When I try to take the next diagnostic step. It goes nuts, says I'm trying to login with something that's already in use, locks up and chucks me out! 

6 REPLIES 6

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
See this...
_________

Firstly... Can we check… are the issues only evident on wifi connections or do you see them at the same times on devices connected on ethernet cables? If you don't know, can you check to help diagnose whether it is just a wifi issue or it could be network connection/Hub related?

What Hub model is it?

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

Hi John,
It's all WiFi pretty much. The only thing hardwired to it is my Energenie gateway and that appears to be working properly. I don't know the hub model but will take a look when I get home later and update this response. Both the Missus and I have noticed the problem when we are using our phones (galaxy S20 & iPhone 14). Browsing the web and suddenly it stops and the page times out. Try again and sometimes yes, sometimes no. I've got a number of Echo devices and you will suddenly see the indicator pulse amber meaning it's lost the internet, for a short while.

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
OK - if its wifi only... see this for pointers....

On a Hub3/4/5, you could first try separating the SSID's of the 2.4 and 5 GHz wifi bands by renaming them in the settings At the same time switch off "channel optimisation/Smart wifi” and “ apply and save the settings. All wifi devices will now need reconnecting to the best SSID at each location. Also use a wifi scanning App to find the best wifi channels to use (just select and use channels 1,6,11 on 2.4GHz) - this often helps Hub users get better wifi performance - so its worth trying - but its still no substitute for getting better kit 🙂

To address the wifi issues, VM now supply “wifi Pods” (no longer doing cheap and cheerless and poor value “boosters”). However, their Pods are only free to customers on the 1GB, Volt (or old Ultimate Oomph) packages - is that you? If so they are worth trying - they should work for you. VM Wifi is now “guaranteed” to 20 Mbps/room it’s now called… Wifi Max see.-

https://www.virginmedia.com/wifi-max & https://www.virginmedia.com/broadband/intelligent-wifi 

You call 0800 064 3850 to order the first one after scanning for blackspots using the connect App.- or just wait here for a VM person to respond in a day or two and they will sort the first one for you. If you do call dont get fobbed off by the offshore CS agents' saying you aren’t eligible it will be £5 or £8 month - you are… and it wont be - just look on the webpage.

If not free to you… you will be charged £8/month (note - BT charge £10/mo for their whole home wifi solution). It’s a simple solution and should work for you. However, you would soon pay off that cost by buying your own wireless solution that will be yours to own and use forever, although the VM Pods should be a simpler option.

If you do want to invest in better equipment, you would need to get either a… (1) Mesh System, (2) Wireless router, (3) Wireless access point (4) A combination of (2,3).

£30-100 (that’s ~4->12 months of Max Pod rental) should sort it for most customers with an average property and usage.

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

Thanks for your post on our Community Forums @PAGillings, and a very warm welcome to you!

Sorry to hear of the issues you've been experiencing with the Wi-Fi services,

I've looked at the status of the hub and in the local area and no faults appear to be present.

Can you please confirm if perhaps there are any devices close to the hub that can be relocated or possibly placed on a wired connection to help quash the traffic on Wi-Fi?

Kindest regards,

David_Bn

Hi.

Thanks. But in the nicest way. I'm not Bill Gates. I've never had to do this nonsense with any other broadband I've ever had. I'm paying good money for this to work out of the box and it doesn't. Have you got an actual phone number so I can talk to someone about getting rid of this useless system. My wife is a key worker and this useless broadband drops her out every few minutes. This is without comparison the worst broadband ever.

Sorry to hear you feel this way @PAGillings.

Feel free to call our team on 0345 454 1111 or 150, if you wish to cancel the services.

Kindest regards,

David_Bn