Menu
ChristianLeigh
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Broadband Outage

Our broadband has been unfunctional since Wednesday evening.

The service status check page shows as GREEN (no problems) .

But when a diagnostic is run it shows there is a problem affecting multiple customers in my area.  There is no indication when it will be fixed either.

On any speed check site it shows great download, but almost zero upload and I get some packet loss.

I have tried ethernet and wifi and the effect is the same.  So clearly this is at Virgins end.

If I phone the Virgin telephone number they have a pre-recorded message admitting that there is a problem affecting multiple customers.  Again no mention of resolution date.

How is that right?  How can they tell the world one thing (on a publicly accessible page), but another privately to the customers?

I have had to buy a 3 sim (unlimited data) and tether an old iPhone to my computer to get any semblance of internet connection, and that was £35 for a month.. I doubt Virgin will reimburse that.  Just to get my working from home setup stable.

One thing I have noticed is that early morning it seems stable... but by 9am its out of whack again, so that would suggest the load on the network is a factor.

0 Kudos
Z92
Problem sorter
Message 2 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Re: Broadband Outage

The service status on the website is a more global area than on the phone line, so if the problem is localised to one specific area the website will say everything is fine. 

A lot of us who are working from home are using multiple redundant internet connections so that when things like this happen we can switch providers quickly and carry on as normal. For example, I've kept my BT line so I have both Virgin and BT installed. For the additional £20/month it costs, it's worthwhile as it costs me far more than than to travel to work and back. 

ChristianLeigh
On our wavelength
Message 3 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Yep, I see that now.  Maybe Virgin could use that on their marketing... "We're the fastest, but whatever you do you must keep another route to the internet available as a redundant line because you can't rely on us"...   I'm sure that could be made snappier.  One for the marketing bods.

Z92
Problem sorter
Message 4 of 11
Flag for a moderator

To be honest I used to have exact the same problem with BT - It was either "I don't have a connection" on the rare occasion or the far more common "My speed has dropped to 20mbps which is completely useless to me". They'd run there tests, apologise, blame the weather, but if you wanted a engineer to come out and check anything "There might be a £175 charge if it's found out to be not our fault". They knew what the fault was all the time - it was the crappy copper degraded cable coming to my property, but they can't replace it because it would cost too much. That's when Virgin offered to install their own for free. 

0 Kudos
ChristianLeigh
On our wavelength
Message 5 of 11
Flag for a moderator

20mbps not good enough?!  That's dream stuff for some people.

Anyway.. its not the download per-se.  It's the stability.  This blasted 3 sim is just about good enough.   Its not exactly blazing fast.. but it IS stable.  And I'd take stability over direct line speed - using Virgin I cannot maintain a stable VPN connection to the office.  It's as if Virgin have a Bugatti Veyron of internet, but only 100 yards of bumpy road.  That for me is about as much use as an ashtray on a motorbike. 
Packet loss and unstable up connection thats my beef.  And the fact that they're reporting it as all fine on the status checker, and yet on telephoning them they've got a pre-recorded message saying that they're aware of a problem.  That, and there being no indication of when there will be a resolution.  Thats a bit shady, and I expected more from Virgin.

0 Kudos
ChristianLeigh
On our wavelength
Message 6 of 11
Flag for a moderator

IMG_1510.jpeg

0 Kudos
jpeg1
Community elder
Message 7 of 11
Flag for a moderator

@ChristianLeigh wrote:

I have had to buy a 3 sim (unlimited data) and tether an old iPhone to my computer to get any semblance of internet connection, and that was £35 for a month.. I doubt Virgin will reimburse that.  Just to get my working from home setup stable.

That's the risk you take in using a residential service for work. There's no guaranteed time for a fix, and just £8 a day compensation after the first two days for a complete loss of service.

0 Kudos
ChristianLeigh
On our wavelength
Message 8 of 11
Flag for a moderator

True.  Virgins service cannot be relied upon.  I am learning that the hard way.

I'd be surprised if I'd get the 8 quid either.  I cannot get to talk to a real person.  The phone line always goes to the prerecorded message.  So I am relying (again that word, "rely"), that they keep track of the outage and do the right thing.

0 Kudos
jpeg1
Community elder
Message 9 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Note the 'complete loss of service '.

0 Kudos
Z92
Problem sorter
Message 10 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Also note the "from registering the loss of service to us"

Which sounds like if you don't/can't report it, the chance of compensation is slim. 

0 Kudos