Menu
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 46
Flag for a moderator

Broadband/Mobile

Can anyone help me please?
I have VM internet and VM mobile. Mobile is using mobile data to connect to the internet intermittently 24/7 - I mean literally every hour of every day. VM can't see any wifi drop out and tell me my internet is working fine. Surely I should not have to turn off my mobile data when I am at home?!?!
They are trying to tell me it's because of internet traffic, but really 24/7????????????
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 2 of 46
Flag for a moderator

Re: Broadband/Mobile

Simple solution is to switch off Mobile Data while you are at home.

Then look at reasons why it was happening in slow time.

***********************************************************************************************************************************

Mike Robinson
Semi-Retired Aircraft Engineer & Computer Based Training and Learning Designer for many of the world's Military Arms.

My Broadband Ping - 26_Aug_2020
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 3 of 46
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

WiFi isn’t the virgin hubs strong point 

You’d do better putting the hub into Modem Mode and attaching your own router or mesh system. 

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 4 of 46
Flag for a moderator

I have switched off mobile data. My point though is that I shouldn't have to, should I? 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 5 of 46
Flag for a moderator

Also, I would have no idea where to start to look. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 6 of 46
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for the reply, but I would have no idea how to do that. I am asking if this is a normal occurrence or whether there is a problem. 

I thought the idea of the hub was to provide me with wifi.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 7 of 46
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

I am guessing that your phone is set up to use Wi-Fi when it is available but when you go outside your Wi-Fi range it changes to Mobile Data.

So the first thing to do is check the phone settings to make sure it is set up correctly.

The next thing to do is to remove Wi-Fi blackspots from your home and the best way to do that is purchase third party equipment that is much, much more powerful than the VM supplied kit and remove the blackspots.

***********************************************************************************************************************************

Mike Robinson
Semi-Retired Aircraft Engineer & Computer Based Training and Learning Designer for many of the world's Military Arms.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 8 of 46
Flag for a moderator

Hi Mike,

I’m not sure how I go out of WiFi range when I’m in bed asleep though.
this is literally happening 24/7 

1769B896-9060-4952-BD44-8F040038C99F.jpeg

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 9 of 46
Flag for a moderator

I don't know either.

Can you get Wi-Fi in your bedroom ?

The problem with Wi-Fi is that it can be brilliant at breakfast time and useless by lunchtime and you haven't changed anything, BUT, something, somewhere has changed, then you can spend hours and even days trying to find a fix for something that can be totally out of your control.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

If you remove all the internal walls, water, electronic and electrical devices, metallic pipes and conduits and wrap the whole building in a thick lead shield you will have a good chance of getting decent Wi-Fi from an ISP Hub.

Just a few things that can affect Wi-Fi in the average home …

Mirrors, furniture, fish tanks, people, radiators, walls (some more than others), cordless phones, baby monitors, microwave ovens, fridges & freezers, TVs, next doors Wi-Fi and Wi-Fi equipment, DAB transmitters, the list is endless.

Mike Robinson

0 Kudos
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 10 of 46
Flag for a moderator

It’s not showing the picture but it’s literally 1am 2am 3am you get the idea - it says using the internet. 
I was checked for black spots when they installed and strangely everything was fine then 

0 Kudos