cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broadband Keeps dropping

biggm68
Tuning in

So been a vm customer for ages, have 3 x v6 box’s, connections via unmanaged switch mostly ethernet

about 6 months ago started to get tv picture break up and the broadband connection dropping out - not the Wi-Fi connection the whole broadband connection 

several engineers later and a couple of complaints the problem still exists 

external cables changed, (apart from one section) new router, new brown wall box

have set up think broadband network monitor and this example of what happens 

during the red you can’t use the service 

engineers say signal are fine 

on the 1gb service 

any advice would be appreciated 

biggm68_0-1692615356360.jpeg

20 REPLIES 20

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

There have been a few threads on here recently where similar issues were actually due to a faulty ethernet switch or bad ethernet cable.  Could you try this excersise..

Can you run the BQM for 24h to get a picture of the issues (you have done this) - and then unplug all the ethernet cable connections from the Hub and just let it run - overnight is best - then in the morning plug one computer in directly into the Hub (no switch) look at the BQM and see if it has all cleaned up overnight. If it has - then to track where the issue lays - plug the devices back in one at a time for an hour or two until the problem reappears and that should indicate where to look for what is causing the issues

Examples of why...

See message 21 in the first thread - and 13 in the second.
https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Networking-and-WiFi/Internet-connection-dropping/td-p/4781287/p...
https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Networking-and-WiFi/Intermittent-Connection/td-p/5069984/page/2

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

Hi biggm68,

Thanks for posting, and sorry to hear you've been having some connection issues. jbrennand has offered some useful advice, have you been able to do this?

Alex_Rm

biggm68
Tuning in

Have done as requested and thought id found the issue but alas its started back up again, pretty much the same as above (thought it was Sonos). Someone else has suggested to send the router logs. Anyone got an opinion, bearing in mind the engineersPhoto 30-08-2023, 09-01-39 BST.jpg

Photo 30-08-2023, 09-02-21 BST.jpg

Photo 30-08-2023, 09-02-29 BST.jpg

Photo 30-08-2023, 09-02-43 BST.jpg

Photo 30-08-2023, 09-03-07 BST.jpg

Photo 30-08-2023, 09-03-12 BST.jpg

Photo 30-08-2023, 09-03-27 BST.jpg

come out and undo the last persons changes !! Yes this happens

Sorry also wanted to add this. Critical is not something that sounds goodPhoto 30-08-2023, 09-03-27 BST.jpg

biggm68
Tuning in

Adding todayxxx.jpg BQM - i have no broadband. I have taken everything off one device by one device

Im attaching todays BQM - how can this be a 1GB service

xxx.jpg

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Try running this experiment...

There is one other option, there have been several threads on here recently where similar BQM latency/packet loss problems were eventually pinned down to a dodgy piece of connected kit affecting the connection . Bad connectors on ethernet cables and faulty network switches being high on the list of suspects

What I advised was... if you run the BQM for 24h to get a picture of the issues (you have done this) - and then unplug all the ethernet cable connections from the Hub and just let it run - overnight is best - then in the morning look at the BQM and see if it has cleaned up. If it has - plug the devices back in one at a time 9switch last)  for an hour or two until the problem reappears and that should indicate where to look for what is causing the issues

Examples of why......   See message 21 in the first thread - and 13 in the second.
https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Networking-and-WiFi/Internet-connection-dropping/td-p/4781287/p...

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Networking-and-WiFi/Intermittent-Connection/td-p/5069984/page/2

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

John

This latest BQM is without anything connected - no Ethernet cables, just the router and the cables to the tv box

It cant be any cable or hardware

Logic says either hub, cabinet or cables into house (which have mostly been replaced)

Spent over 40 mins today trying to book engineer, no luck, tried to call the previous one say he cant help

Its a nightmare

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Lets see the Hub connection data - but do it this way this time - not screen shots

_____________-

Switch the Hub off and unplug it from the mains supply for five minutes. Whilst it's off, do a quick check that all of your coax and ethernet cable connections are in nice and "finger" tight - at the Hub and wall box and also at any connectors etc. Ensure there are no “unterminated cable loose ends. Disconnect all the connections and reconnect to be sure. Also check that the internal wiring is ok with no kinking or chaffing. When its light, check that all looks good with the outside cabling and wall box (no “staples, etc.,) piercing the cables. Then switch the Hub back on and leave ~5 minutes When all done, check back in the settings and ensure that the RS error counts and T3 errors have all reset to 0. Then check every hour or so to see if they start reappearing - they shouldn't. If they do (particularly the postRS and T3 ones) you have a problem (noise) that only a Tech visit will sort.
Also check the Upstream QAM’s are all at 64

-----------

To post as data....

Navigate to these “data pages” and just copy/paste the normal “Formatted Text” (not images) 3 FULL sets of data onto here – 2 tables from the Downstream, 2 from the Upstream, & the Network Logs pages. Don't worry too much about the formatting it can be easily read & DON’T include personal data or MAC addresses - blank them out - if you copy/paste the data, the board software will do this for you (you may need to click the "submit" button again). If character limits are “exceeded” - just do two posts

--------------------
John
--------------------