Menu
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 1 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Broadband Hub 3 signal strength

I am a new customer to Virgin broadband this week.  We have the M500 cabling and have confirmed download speeds of 545mb using a direct ethernet connection.  I know that this should only be the speed guaranteed at the point it comes into our property and from there that wifi speeds will depend on a number of factors, as indicated on the Virgin web pages.

My query is this: I have tested the wifi signal strength periodically and get around 50 mb.  Given that there could be a number of factors affecting the signal, I also tested it at four o'clock in the morning when no other devices were using the network and I placed the device within two metres of the router, which is in the open. (This is a newish laptop, under a year old, so should not have speed restrictions) .  Despite this, I still only got a wireless download speed of around 50 mb. 

Is this right?  Would you not expect to get somewhat nearer to the maximum bandwidth in such circumstances and is the router faulty in some way?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 2 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Re: Broadband Hub 3 signal strength

Depends on the spec of the wireless card installed in the laptop and the link speed it’s connecting at. 

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 3 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for the quick response.  Is this the hardware info that is relevant?  If so, will the spec of the card tell me any more info?

mt50_0-1604527585142.png

Is there any way to find out the link speed you mention?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 4 of 8
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

It’s only a 1x1 card but it should be AC compatible.

Have you tried splitting the 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz bands on the hub and connecting to the 5Ghz and testing the speeds?

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Highlighted
Superfast
Message 5 of 8
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

When you access your HUB and check the 'Connected devices' section on the left hand side what is the 'Speed Mbps' value next to your device?

Regardless your device is 'capable' of 433Mbps, which is a real world range of 200 - 250Mbps from past experience.

This is best case. It will get worse the further away from the HUB the device is.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 6 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Thanks again - you are entering areas I know nothing about 😊 (e.g., I don't know what AC means, and wouldn't know how to split the hub), so might need to get local resource to look at it if problems ensue.  My query was really to understand if I should be concerned about the speed I was getting compared to the speed from the hub.  Reading through other threads, it looks as though it is reasonable at the minute.  Thanks for your help.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 7 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Can't access the hub - tried to do this and it doesn't recognise the setting password on the base of the unit, even though it's not been changed (unless the installation engineer changed it for some reason, but would have thought he'd have said something if he did!).  The website says I can carry out a factory reset, but loathe to do that having just got set up and all devices working on it!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 8 of 8
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

If you split the WiFi bands you’ll need to setup your devices again anyway as the WiFi SSID would be different