Menu
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 1 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Broadband Failing: Utilization Issue Again?

Earlier this year my BB connection in area 20 (BR3 postcode) was very poor; several long-term disconnects and many transient drop-outs. This problem was attributed to a “utilization issue” (in other words congestion!). In mid-May (14th), after VM changed my IP address presumably because of network modification, the broadband service returned to normal. There was another major unannounced 24-hour disruption of service on 22-23 June.

From the end of June until 10 August the connection was good, with only a few transient drop-outs on smart-speakers.; the BQM graphs showed low latency and only very rare, transient packet loss.

But from 11 August until now the BQM graphs have shown progressively higher latency and this has been associated with ever increasing incidence modem resets, internet disconnections, drop-outs on smart-speakers etc. The status now is is very frustrating and totally unacceptable.

It is always desperately frustrating that the VM online Service Status (and phone service) always reports “Currently we have no known area issues” and all VM Diagnostic Tools indicate ‘No Problems’ when it is likely that VM know there are problems!

FYI, I have a Hub 3, which I use for both wired and WiFi connections and the problems occur with both wired & WiFi. The connections to the modem have been checked and I have rebooted and reset the modem several times without any discernible improvement.

I suspect that my problems are likely due to congestion in the VM network. It would be good to know whether this is known as an issue (again) in BR3 and when it is likely to be resolved – and importantly how long-lasting.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Re: Broadband Failing: Utilization Issue Again?

Post a link to your BQM share

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 3 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Hi Gary,

Here is link to BQM:

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/broadband/monitoring/quality/share/4aeccd822ab968830dfe0575ac001dd74f08aeed

I experienced a loss of internet, both wired and Wi-Fi, including a 'disconnection' of modem/router, soon after 10:00 today

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Looks like it might be a possible congestion issue to me. See if it continues like that.  If so VM are notoriously vague about when (or if) these are due to be fixed. If so, you should pursue the finding out, but also planning to change supplier if you can.  That is, dont change your package or get new equipment that may start a new 12/18 month contract.

--------------------
John
--------------------

My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos