Menu
Gurjit4161
Tuning in
Message 1 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Both my HP laptops keep discconnecting

I've got a windows 10 Hp laptop which I bought in 2016 and this year it starts disconnecting from my wifi. I have to disconnect and connect it multiple times to make it work.

I got a new HP laptop in July and it's doing exactly the same thing.

Me and my family keep losing work because of this.

It's really bad. I haven't got 10 minutes to waste trying to connect to the internet when it disconnects.

Something is wrong, otherwise, it wouldn't happen to both computers.

My daughters are going back to uni and it's all online. What if it disconnects then?

What's the point of paying for something that doesn't work?

Please can someone help?

I've still got a while until my contract ends.

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Re: Both my HP laptops keep discconnecting

Plug it into the Hub with a Cat 5e (or better) ethernet cable to see if the disconnects still happen.

Report back.

What Hub model is it?  Have you tried a pinhole reset ?

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
Gurjit4161
Tuning in
Message 3 of 4
Flag for a moderator

I’ve tried that and it’s still disconnecting.

My daughters start uni tomorrow. It would be really bad if it disconnects in the middle of their online sessions. It disconnects very often after the laptop is turned on. Sometimes after 5 mins and then it takes time to connect again. It won’t let us connect again. It’s really irritating.

All our phones, Samsung tablet and iPad are completely fine. It’s never disconnected.

why just laptops?

Last year a person came to ‘separate’ our internet as that was causing it to disconnect. So we had two connections.

the phones were fixed but not laptops

0 Kudos
Gareth_L
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 4 of 4
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Hello Gurjit4161

Thanks for your post 

I am sorry that this is happening again for you 

Can you please try this fix 

Separating the wireless frequencies should sort this out for you. Here is how to do it:
•    Access your Hub by navigating to 192.168.0.1
•    Login with the default login info (on base of Hub) unless you've already updated it.
•    Go to Advanced Settings > Wireless > Security
•    Under Wireless Frequency 2.4GHz change the Wifi Network Name (SSID) and the Wifi password (network key).
•    Repeat for the Wireless Frequency 5GHz and click on Apply changes.*
*Make sure that both frequencies are named differently and are still identifiable (adding 2.4 and 5 to the end of each should suffice).

Gareth_L

0 Kudos