Menu
Triciamcl31
Joining in
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Boosters haven’t helped WiFi signal

My signal drops when you leave the living room it’s the only room we get a signal without it dropping intermittently or dropping completely . We got the Virg boosters free but very little difference edi signal on mobile drops and it’s impossible to watch prime video etc . It’s a small uppper villa style flat any suggestions ???

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Re: Boosters haven’t helped WiFi signal

What Hub model is it and what package are you on?

TBH - Hub wifi is not great, so assuming connections on ethernet cables are workingg normally for you (are they?), I would ditch the boosters and Hub wifi and use my own better quality wireless equipment (in fact... I do!).

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
Triciamcl31
Joining in
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Hi I’m on M100 Fibre Broadband and its hubb3

0 Kudos
Triciamcl31
Joining in
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator

I’ve read a bit about using other routers but I’m not tech savvy and no idea where to start !

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Here are some comments I have posted before. Use them as a "starter for 10"...

Assuming your wired connections are all ok (are they?) then as VM don’t “guarantee” speeds over wifi (only ethernet cables) they only now supply “wifi pods” (not “boosters”). These are free to customers on the 1GB or Ultimate Oomph packages, and so are worth trying if you are on one of those.

Otherwise, you will be charged £5/month - and at that level of investment you would soon pay off that cost by buying your own better quality wireless equipment (not extenders) which will solve any wifi issues permanently, and will be transferable to other BB suppliers kit should you move supplier.

Get either a…

(1) Mesh System, (2) Wireless router, (3) Wireless access point or (4) A combination of (2) & (3).

I would say a good Mesh will be the best/simplest/most flexible for most average users.  A Tri-band system is better for the "backhaul" especially important for users on high speed packages and with umpteen simultaneous connections.

It depends on your requirements for... better routing features, your house layout, size, construction materials, your tech abilities, and of course, budget, ~£60-80 will get a decent introductory wireless router but 'may' not alone solve the wifi in your house, but spending up to ~£500 will get the “Rolls Royce” solution of a high-end Wifi6 Router & WAP's or a top end Tri-band Mesh system. You'll probably want something suitable - somewhere within that range - I reckon ~£100-150 is around the “sweet spot” for most standard users, and where you would probably need to start for a standard 2/3-story house if it has brick walls. Less for a one-bedroom modern build flat, more for a stone built 8 bedroom mansion. What size/construction is your property?

Good options for Access points/Wifi routers/Mesh systems come from Ubiquiti, Asus, TP-Link Deco's M4/M5, Linksys Velop's, Tenda Nova's, Netgear Orbi's (and others) – I would stick with these companies whose business this is - rather than “newcomer” and data-driven” companies like Google, Amazon, etc. Also be sure the router or Mesh specifically says that they have 1GB ethernet ports - some of the cheaper ones only have 100Mbps ports and so will never go above that speed - may not matter as you are on the 100 package - but you should future-proof in case you want a speed upgrade in the future

Recently, just as an example... two of my friends who both live in brick built 3/4 bed semis, both just got TP-Link Deco M5 3-packs (~£150) and both told me it is - “absolutely brilliant with full wifi speeds in all rooms, the attic and the garden, and the App is a doddle to use”. The first Mesh unit becomes the new router - you need to check whether the one you look at has all the "features” you need. Ethernet ports are usually limited to 1 or 2/unit , so you “may” need to add in an unmanaged GB port switch (<£20) in there as well. My mates also get "full speeds" from the ethernet ports on the Deco's in the remote locations. Finally if you get a 2/3-pack of any Mesh system, which doesn’t cover dead spots everywhere, you can just add in extra unit(s).

Take a look at what fits your needs, tech ability, house layout and budget. Use sites like Techradar & Techadvisor for reviews of "Best Routers" or "Best Mesh". Post again if you want personal recommendations from others on your short list

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
Triciamcl31
Joining in
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

We have small 2 bed flat , upper villa style so one floor up router is in living room but little or no signal in back bedroom or kitchen and none even immediately downstairs at front or back of house. Would love to use in back room or garden particularly as working from home so do you think a TP link would work ???

construction is brick house built around 1940

0 Kudos