Menu
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 1 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Booster

Just set up booster as per instructions and when I plug it in upstairs I get no signal whatsoever. Unplug it and I revert back to my usual weak signal. Anyone had this problem?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 2 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Re: Booster

Is the other booster still connected to the hub using the Ethernet cable?

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 3 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Yes, still connected

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Is the upstairs unit plugged into a extension lead by any chance?

Also are the upstairs and downstream circuits "connected" - that is do they both go into the same Consumer Unit/Fuse Box - or have they been separated - in a rewire for example?

--------------------
John
--------------------

My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 5 of 10
Flag for a moderator

No. It is plugged into an internal wall as recommended.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 6 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Same fuse box but separate circuits 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 7 of 10
Flag for a moderator

@LindaMac wrote:

Same fuse box but separate circuits 

That should be fine.  Have you set them both up OK downstairs and just moved the second unit upstairs?

--------------------
John
--------------------

My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 8 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Yes. As soon as I unplug it upstairs I can get my usual weak signal. Looks like, by plugging it in, it blocks signal 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 9 of 10
Flag for a moderator

I have never used VM boosters (I prefer to use my own wireless equipment) so someone else needs to comment...

... but is it perhaps broadcasting a separate SSID with a different name - if so you will need to change your devices to that one as right now it looks like they are connecting to the normal Hub wifi and not the booster's. Do you have a wifi channel scanning App that you can look at upstairs and see if you can see/identify any new SSID being broadcast from the booster?

--------------------
John
--------------------

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 10 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Thanks John. I will see if I can get that App and give it a go. Thanks for your help.

0 Kudos