Menu
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 1 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Booster

How do I order a Wifi Booster from Virgin?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 2 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Re: Booster

Depends if you want to rent an inferior product or pay upfront for your own better kit you can keep

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 3 of 10
Flag for a moderator

So if I order my own, will it connect to the Virgin Router?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 4 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Yes it will. 

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 5 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Dont bother with any boosters - there are better options out there.

Assuming your wired connections are all ok (are they?), then getting your own wireless equipment will solve any wifi issues permanently, and will be transferable to other BB suppliers kit should you move supplier.

Either.....

1) A Mesh System
2) A Wireless router
3) A Wireless access points
OR
4) A combination of the above

--------------------
John
--------------------

My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 6 of 10
Flag for a moderator

And it won’t matter which brand I get? Sorry just want to make sure I get the right one.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 7 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Yes it matters 🙂 See this previous reply from me to others for some pointers. Ask back if you need more info.

---------------------------------------
Depending on your requirements for... better routing features, your house layout, size, construction materials, your tech abilities, and of course, budget, ~£60-80 will get a decent introductory wireless router but may not alone solve the wifi in your house, and spending up to ~£500 will get the Rolls Royce solution of a high-end Router with Wifi6 & WAP's or a top end Tri-band Mesh system. You'll probably want something suitable - somewhere within that range - I reckon ~£100-150 is around the “sweet spot” for most standard users, and where you would probably need to start for a standard 2/3-story house if it has brick walls (less in a 1 bedroomed, modern studio flat).

Good options for Access points are Ubiquiti, (routers also) and from these companies for their WiFi routers or Mesh systems such as TP-Link Deco's M4/M5, Linksys Velop's, Tenda Nova's, Netgear Orbi's (and others) - stick with these companies whose business this is - rather than Johnnie-come-latley's like Google, BT, Amazon etc. Also be sure the router or Mesh specifically say that they have 1GB ethernet ports - some of the cheaper ones only have 100Mbps ports.

Recently, just as an example, two of my friends who live in brick built 3/4 bed semis, both just got TP-Link Deco M5 3-packs (£150) and both told me it is - “absolutely brilliant with full wifi speeds in all rooms, the attic and the garden”. The first unit becomes the new router - you need to check whether the one you look at has all the "features you need. Plus, ethernet ports are usually limited to 1 or 2, so you may need to add in an unmanaged GB switch (<£20) in there as well. My mates also get "full speeds" from the ethernet ports on the Deco's in the remote locations. Finally if you get a 3-pack of any Mesh system, and that doesn’t cover dead spots everywhere, you can just add in extra unit(s).

Take a look at what fits your needs, tech ability, house layout and budget. Use sites like Techradar & Techadvisor for reviews of "Best Routers" or "Best Mesh". Post again if you want personal recommendations from others on your short list.

--------------------
John
--------------------

My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 8 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Any mid-high range router from the likes of TP-Link or ASUS will be fine. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 9 of 10
Flag for a moderator

How much would all of these cost though? I’m a student and in a student house so we won’t won’t be spending loads of money. Also, it’s only mainly for two rooms.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 10 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Get this for under £50
https://www.alza.co.uk/zyxel-nbg6615-d5481208.htm?o=1
---------------------------------------------------------------
0 Kudos