Menu
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 1 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Booster speed

Hi all,

I have just received my booster and have plugged them in. The room which needed the boost is now receiving a signal but the speed is very slow (under 10mbps). This the leads to the devices dropping out.

Any idea how I can improve this?

Thanks

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Booster speed

Get some better boosters or a mesh system

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator

thanks for your reply.

it seems that getting a better booster is a common theme on these forums. I was reluctant to as i was hoping the virgin one would sort the issue out. Even my sky q drops out now and then and i have resorted to connecting it to the booster via an ethernet cable. 

is there a specific booster which is good? also, the idea of a mesh system is a possibility as well

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

The boosters virgin supply are cheap and use powerline technology which relies on a good ring main etc in the property.

I would take a mesh over a booster - https://www.amazon.co.uk/Best-Sellers-Computers-Accessories-Whole-Home-Mesh-Wi-Fi-Systems/zgbs/compu...

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Some thoughts and it depends on a number of factors. Depending on your requirements for... better routing features, your house layout, size, construction materials, your tech abilities, and of course, budget.

~£60-80 will get a decent introductory wireless router but 'may' not alone solve the wifi in your house, but spending up to ~£500 will get the Rolls Royce solution of a high-end Wifi6 Router & WAP's or a top end Tri-band Mesh system.

You'll probably want something suitable - somewhere within that range - I reckon ~£100-150 is around the “sweet spot” for most standard users, and where you would probably need to start for a standard 2/3-story house if it has brick walls. Less for a one-bedroom modern build flat.

--------------------
John
--------------------

My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator

thanks for your reply.

in hindsight, i should have realised that the booster was never going to replicate the speed of the hub. I am now considering the mesh network and i am thinking of buying the TP-Link Deco M4. I live in a 4 bed house, so in theory this should be sufficient (?)

i now need to try and return the booster back to virgin ....

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Hi seanyo2k,

Thank you for reaching out to us in our community and a warm welcome to you, I am sorry to hear the boosters aren't working as you expected them to.

I will be more than happy to remove them and arrange a returns package for them, so I can help further I will invite you into a private chat, please click on the purple envelope to accept.

Regards

Paul.

0 Kudos