Menu
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 1 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Booster kit - Router does not have anough ethernet ports for booster ethernet

HI - I have ordered a booster kits due to blackspots around the house.  It has arrived but needs to connect to router via ethernet - I have no available ports in router as i work from home and am connected direct to router via work equipment

How can i connect booster to router?  

Thanks 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Re: Booster kit - Router does not have anough ethernet ports for booster ethernet

Get an unmanaged 1GB port network switch with the number of ports you need - 5-8 port ones are <£20 from the usual online places.  Plug it into the Hub with a short (Cat6) ethernet cable and then connect extra devices to it.

--------------------
John
--------------------

My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Re: Booster kit - Router does not have anough ethernet ports for booster ethernet

You could try a switch and get your own wireless router with 1Gb ports use the hub in modem mode.

---------------------------------------------------------------
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Thank - I am not at all technical and have no man at home to assist - Is a netgear gs308 with 8 ports ok?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Yes an excellent choice - no man could have chosen more wisely 🙂

Remember you will also need an ethernet cable of the right length to connect it to the Hub from where you put the switch and have it plugged in. Get a Cat6 one as they have better "shielding"

--------------------
John
--------------------

My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Thanks - What length

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator

@Elmogood wrote:

Thanks - What length

Long enough to reach the Switch at the place that you want to position it, not forgetting the Switch also needs mains power.

***********************************************************************************************************************************

Mike Robinson
Semi-Retired Aircraft Engineer & Computer Based Training and Learning Designer for many of the world's Military Arms.

My Broadband Ping - Mike Robbo
0 Kudos