Menu
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 1 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Book engineer

Going round and round help on mobile as broadband is down. 150 cuts off after 45 minutes waiting. Tried that several times. How do you book an engineer? N

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 17
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Book engineer

Have you checked for “known network faults”?

As well as trying the “check service,” Area status webpage" (link at top right of this forum), there is also a Service Status number - 0800 561 0061 - which usually tells you of more local issues down to postcode level (that may not be listed on the Area Status web page which usually covers >1000’s of customers) - that may give you more info, but even that wont cover problems affecting just a few customers.

If nothing shows on there, try calling it in as a fault (on 150 VM line - or 0345 454 1111 others) and see what they say when they test your connection. If they say it’s a known fault, get a fault reference number – n.b.the UK call centre is still picking up but people are reporting that wait times do vary from ~5' to ~1hr or a cut-off, for reasons that escape me.

--------------------
John
--------------------

My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 3 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Modem dead now after being intermittent. 150 line useless, average 45 minutes wait then cut off. Thanks N

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 17
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

what does 0800 561 0061 report?

Keep trying the phone 08.00 is the best time to call. You can also text them on 07533 051809 - include account name/number and what the issue is – replies may take a bit longer

A VM person should pick this up here and respond, but it can take several days.

--------------------
John
--------------------

My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 5 of 17
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Thanks for the post Neilsrcherry and welcome to our community.

Can we please confirm if you've been in touch with the team to look into this since your post? 

Let us know, Emily.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 6 of 17
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Hi Emily and VM

No I still haven't been able to get through. Cut off point seems to be being on hold for 45 minutes. 

Last week router dropped off completely a few times for a period of time with no power getting through.

Over three and a half years when I have got through VM person checked line and always said it's OK so £100 to get engineer out.

It's a VM 2 Router so I've been told that's 'old' now. Please can you get someone to come here - if I don't get anywhere to have good VM internet I'll just have to switch. Router was put in converted garage where the original dial up line went into a computer there and I think they should have put it elsewhere. The internet is poor and intermittent when it's working even with some 'boosters' in rooms just 5 metres away let alone upstairs. 

So my guess is it needs new router in different location - should be easy as broadband line for TV comes into house in lounge. 

Thanks Neil

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 7 of 17
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Hi Neil,

I'm afraid there may be a call out charge of £99 for the Hub relocation however I've had a look at your network details and everything looks fine. The levels are all within their ranges and I cannot find any errors. I have however ordered a replacement Hub 3 for you to see if it helps. You can find the order details via your online account and it can take up to 5 days for it it to arrive so please keep an eye out for it.

Are you able to wait for the new Hub to see if it improves your connection? We can also look at other aspects that can help improve it such as if your WiFi is spotty, you can download our Connect App to look for WiFi deadspots that may be causing an issue.

Thanks,

Lisa 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 8 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Hi - and thank you.

We'll see whether the new Hub improves things. The original hub was replaced at the same place as the previous modem connection and nothing was said about whether it was a good or bad location. The engineer should have checked whether this place was suitable and we should have been advised to to place in better location. 

I expect the new hub to make minimal difference (but hope it does) so we'll either have to book engineer or consider taking different ISP. Can at home have two broadband ISP's?

We'd then see if new is better than VM then cancel VM broadband service (part of £104-5 monthly charge). 

We'll see what that does. How soon could we get an engineer in?

Neil  

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 9 of 17
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Hey Neil,

We'll need to try and raise the order for the engineer to visit for the Hub replacement and see what dates are available as I'm unable to tell you when as the availability is live. You may have two separate ISP broadband installed at your home but we wouldn't be able to install a second Virgin Media connection. 

Thanks,

Lisa

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 10 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Great - thanks - how do I initiate getting an engineer here?

I have some Coronavirus Support Group work which has meant I have had to use laptop on ethernet connection as WiFi would go down. During my first few Zoom meetings in March-April I would drop out of meeting around two times an hour. Since I've been using ethernet cable and near hub most meeting have been fine. 

Thanks for help Neil

0 Kudos