Menu
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 1 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Book an engineer

I am desperate to get an engineer out to sort my WiFi. I am working as a counsellor with suicidal clients and the WiFi keeps dropping out. I have tried ringing, going online - I can’t speak to a person to book an engineer. This is now causing me huge distress. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Superfast
Message 2 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Re: Book an engineer

You could try texting on 07533 051 809.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 3 of 12
Flag for a moderator

does the connect drop out using a wired connection.

VM can't do anything about wifi they only guarantee the speed on wired

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 4 of 12
Flag for a moderator

There are lots of VM users on the board willing to help, but unfortunately if it’s just a WiFi problem the VM staff cannot help you very much. VM just supply you with a broadband connection and as long as the circuit works to their specification then that’s that. We need to check out a few fact to try and find the route cause of your problems. If you are only using WiFi then it’s best to connect a cable connected device and see if your circuit still gives problems. What you need to do is go into the VM hub with a browser on 192.168.0.1, do not logon on, go to the statistics page from the bottom of the first page, and post you up/downstream stats and network log. We can then see the state of your circuit and then make some recommendations. 

WiFi only, is very susceptible to many outside influences and due to the 2.4Ghz being very crowded there are usually problems. In a 24 hour period in my location I can see over 100 users using this band. That means congestion and slowdown for most people. 

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 5 of 12
Flag for a moderator

I can see why that would be a huge pain and cause distress. Must be extremely frustrating and I'm sorry you're having to deal with that during lockdown. 

Hopefully you can get a few answers that are more useful than the dismissive ones above.

While I'm sure Virgin "only guarentee a wired connection" that absolutely doesn't mean you don't have a fault somewhere and if it's just started happening that's the more likely reason.  

Trying to get through to their customer service is pretty much pointless at the moment unless you have several hours to spend on hold. If you don't have any luck getting through to a proper technician or customer service rep (as opposed to the hobbyists on here) it's worth logging a complaint and starting the process whereby you may be able to get out of your contract early and move to another provider.

Good luck.

Tilt is the Peoples Champion - MikeRobbo
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 6 of 12
Flag for a moderator

@Tilt wrote:

I can see why that would be a huge pain and cause distress. Must be extremely frustrating and I'm sorry you're having to deal with that during lockdown. 

Hopefully you can get a few answers that are more useful than the dismissive ones above.

While I'm sure Virgin "only guarentee a wired connection" that absolutely doesn't mean you don't have a fault somewhere and if it's just started happening that's the more likely reason.  

Trying to get through to their customer service is pretty much pointless at the moment unless you have several hours to spend on hold. If you don't have any luck getting through to a proper technician or customer service rep (as opposed to the hobbyists on here) it's worth logging a complaint and starting the process whereby you may be able to get out of your contract early and move to another provider.

Good luck.

Not for slow Wi-Fi speeds you can’t, no 

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 7 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Can't what Gary? I'm not sure I follow that non-sensical reply.

Yes she should be getting a decent WiFi speed. It's incredsibly misleading to continue to post that Virgin "only guarentee a wired connection". If people are not getting speeds they pay for then all issues should be investigated to see why this might be. Perhaps a strong WiFi in the property isn't possible for a multitude of reasons but people have the right to get some techincal help to see if that's the case and can then (if within the cooling off period) cancel their contract with no fee or look at options such as boosters or filing a complaint to then get out of contract.

Stop with the posts dismissing peoples' problems. A huge variety of these issues could probably be either rectified or at least improved with some help.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 8 of 12
Flag for a moderator

People don't pay for wireless speeds though. Maybe you should familiarise yourself with the Speed Guarantee.

You can't cancel the contract on the basis of slow wifi speeds.

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 9 of 12
Flag for a moderator

I don't think I said that anywhere, Gary.

I simply suggested that problems should be looked at be a qualified Virgin technician as opposed to an armchair engineer. All these people you just dismiss with a copy/paste answer deserve to have their problem taken seriously with proper trouble-shooting. If it's fixable or there can be an improvement then it's win-win for everyone. This seems like an incredibly simple concept.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 10 of 12
Flag for a moderator

@Tilt wrote:
I don't think I said that anywhere, Gary.

I simply suggested that problems should be looked at be a qualified Virgin technician as opposed to an armchair engineer. All these people you just dismiss with a copy/paste answer deserve to have their problem taken seriously with proper trouble-shooting. If it's fixable or there can be an improvement then it's win-win for everyone. This seems like an incredibly simple concept.

You did...

Besides this is a community forum. not an instant access hotline to speak to someone at Virgin Media.

0 Kudos