Menu
nickwik2807
Joining in
Message 1 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Book an engineer - intermittent connection

I have repeatedly gone through the FAQs and suggested fixes. I am having to reboot my hub on a regular basis.

My internet connection continues to be intermittent and I would simply like to book an engineer to come and look at the virgin box outside (which is broken) to see if that is what causes the glitches in the internet.

The glitches mostly happen in the evening whilst I am trying to watch TV and my son is on the playstation. However, it is also temperamental in the mornings when I am working from home (I appreciate that the VPN can slow it down!). It is tempermental about working on mobile devices about the home. I begrudge continuing to pay for a service that is not providing what I am paying for.

I do not understand why there is no simple way of speaking to human or arranging for a technician. Please help

[MOD EDIT: Subject title changed for clarity]

0 Kudos
-tony-
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Re: Book an engineer

staff will get to the thread in a day or few without more investigation the usually dont just book a tech - there may be an area fault so any tech would be cancelled until that is cleared

the external box being broken is unlikely to be the problem - that said it wants sorting and they may just book a tech to resolve tha 

you can post some more onfo - are the problems on wired and wifi

log into hub3 - 192.168.0.1 [or 192.168.100.1 if in modem mode] - DON'T SIGN IN, click - click router status [centre of screen] - and post the downstream and upstream figures - to see those press on the grey buttons/boxes labelled - upstream - downstream

if its an earlier hub button is top right

Tony
0 Kudos
jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 3 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Re: Book an engineer

As Tony says.... but to expand a bit - are the issues just speed related or do you get "disconnections" and are these only evident on wifi connections or do you see them at the same times on devices connected on ethernet cables?

If you don't know, can you check to help diagnose whether it is just a wifi issue or it could be network connection related?

What Hub is it and what are the various Hub lights showing/doing when this happens?

Also, in the meantime... If you haven’t already done so it would be good to set up a free and secure “Broadband Quality Monitor” to continually monitor the state of your connection and record any true network dropouts , latency issues, packet drops, etc - it will thus allow you to differentiate between those and simple wifi dropouts. And give a good "picture of your connection quality

It does it 24/7/365 and it keeps a visual record of any/all of your network disconnections, useful data to have to match to the Network logs (in your Hub settings) and also in discussions with VM - note it will take a few hours to start seeing a sensible picture - post up the “link” to the “share live graph” (as per instructions on the TB website) when it starts to develop.

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/broadband/monitoring/quality

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
David_Bn
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 4 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Re: Book an engineer - intermittent connection

Good Afternoon nickwik2807,

Thanks for your post on our Community Forums and a very warm welcome to you!

Sorry to see there appears to be some issues with your connection.

Can you please advise me if you have any issued with devices that are connected via an Ethernet cable? 

Looking into the hub, it appears that there may be issues on Wi-Fi, with some devices experiencing a low signal strength. Can you connect any devices to the Ethernet connection on a more permanent basis to help lesser the traffic on Wi-Fi?

Kindest regards,

David_Bn

0 Kudos
nickwik2807
Joining in
Message 5 of 13
Flag for a moderator

We do not have any connected to an ethernet cable at this time due to the position of the hub. It is unlikely that it would be convenient to do this, plus I still do not understand why there is a low signal within my home.....

0 Kudos
gary_dexter
Alessandro Volta
Message 6 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Then there's no way to ascertain if it's a connection issue or just a wifi issue.

Unless you have an RF scanner you'll never know why you have a low wifi signal - it can be any number of reasons - namely constrction, obstructions, neighbouring wifi broadcasts, bluetooth devices, things emitting electrical signals etc etc etc.

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi
0 Kudos
Martin_N
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 7 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Do you have any device that can connect via an Ethernet Cable? Do you have an Ethernet cable?

This would only be a temporary connection so we can review this. 

^Martin

0 Kudos
nickwik2807
Joining in
Message 8 of 13
Flag for a moderator

No, I'm not sure where I have put any I might have had in the past. I thought the whole point of wifi was that it was not needed.

I'm fully prepared to pay for an engineer - how do I book one?
0 Kudos
Ayisha_B
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 9 of 13
Flag for a moderator

You would not be required to pay one @nickwik2807. We need to carry out further checks before we can arrange a visit.

As you are unable to test on a wired connection, we'd need to assume the issues are with WiFi only for now.

We do not guarantee WiFi as numerous factors can cause drops in performance but you should be able to achieve the subscribed service on a wired connection. 

We have some tips here to help improve the wireless network signal and range. 

I'd also recommend our Connect app. When installed, you can do a wireless scan in the property. This scan will optimise the connection where possible to do so. It'll also check for any coverage blackspots in the property and if a WiFi Pod is needed, you'll be prompted to order one.  

Ayisha_B
Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos
nickwik2807
Joining in
Message 10 of 13
Flag for a moderator

I have the connect app and have tried all the tips......I have even added a booster but the dropping out of the wifi continues to be a problem all over the home
0 Kudos