cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Block domains from the VM Hub

SecretUser
Tuning in

I'm looking to restrict/block access to some domains (mainly spam) what would be the best way to do this without additional hardware?

I have the VM hub 3

8 REPLIES 8

legacy1
Alessandro Volta

You could edit the hosts file in windows

C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc

127.0.0.1 ads.com

you could setup bind and do the same thing and set your devices to point to it for DNS 

---------------------------------------------------------------

What email client are you using? I get almost no spam with Gmail. Every email client has the means to block a domain, in the case of Gmail it's done with a filter to delete or archive emails from that domain name.

--
Hub 5, TP-Link TL-SG108S 8-port gigabit switch, 360
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM hub 5 broadband connection

I'm not talking about emails but websites and ads

Hi SecretUser, thanks for getting back to us.

Did you have the opportunity to follow the advice from Legacy1?  If so, how have things gone?

Regards

Lee_R

Tudor
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

You cannot realistically do it without additional equipment. The solution provided earlier only works on Windows and the you have to enter many domains. I use Pi-Hole and there are over 650,000 domains in my block lists. In the last 24 hours Pi-Hole has blocked 11,251 requests.

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2

Hi Lee, his solution is kind of what I'm looking for but the problem is I'd need to configure every device so it's not really useful. There's any way to request a feature like this to Virgin? Other routers in the market provide this already

@SecretUser wrote:

Other routers in the market provide this already

Then you should get one VM will not do it

---------------------------------------------------------------

They don't like feedback to improve their services?

As I said at the beginning I'd like to avoid to buy additional hardware for this.