Menu
radioflyingman
Joining in
Message 1 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Blink XT2 camera system high latency

I have a Blink camera system that has been working well for the last 6 months.
Since the upgrade to 100mb Fiber the system has become unusable, taking many attempts to get a connection with 'unable to connect to the blink cloud' errors. 
WiFi connection has been checked, is very good with the sync hub being just a few feet away.
All other devices working fine on WiFi plus no problems at all with streaming i.e. netflix etc.

Sync module has been swapped out, no improvement. Blink support have done some testing and have determined that there is excessive latency when establishing a connection to the  blink cloud. If it does connect it works fine - live viewing of a camera works without any stutter BUT it will take many attempts to get the connection initially, suggesting that this is indeed a latency issue.  
Online test of the Virgin Router is 100% good. 

Any ideas ?

0 Kudos
Steven_L
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Blink XT2 camera system high latency

Hi radioflyingman and welcome to the community. 

I have checked your account from our side and cannot see anything that would be causing the issues that you're having. I see that you spoke to the team on Thursday, did this have any effect on the issue?

Would you be able to create a broadband quality monitor, so that we can monitor the latency issues and hopefully get a fix for this. You can create the monitor here, please post this in the next 24 to 48 hours.

Regards

Steven_L

0 Kudos
radioflyingman
Joining in
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Yes, no problem, I will create a monitor and will update you soon.

By way of a further test, I connected the camera system to my mobile phone's wifi hotspot - with the result that the system started working perfectly again.

When switched back to the Virgin Hub it failed, so it would seem that the problem does indeed lie somewhere with the Virgin network.

0 Kudos
radioflyingman
Joining in
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator

A further update - fixed! :¬) 
I have been looking at possible HUB3 issues, the gaming community have noticed an increase in latency issues since a firmware update that occurred around April. Not sure how much of this is hearsay  -  but thought I would try - in effect - bypassing it by using another router. I had a spare Fritzbox lying around so put the HUB3 into modem mode and connected the Fritzbox in Network-Router mode.

Result was a success, camera system now working 100%, much more responsive internet in general.
The monitor had been showing latency spikes of around 100-120ms - since I have changed the network I have had to restart it, will look to see if I still get those spikes.

So - pure guesswork at this stage - what's going on ?- routing issues ?- bridging problem ? - I remember the HUB3 had latency issues early on that was fixed by a firmware update, did they somehow reintroduce the issue with the latest patch ?

Thanks for the tip re the monitor, that's a really useful tool ...

0 Kudos
Crosby
Tuning in
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator

How are you getting on now? Like you I have been able to connect my Blink system for about a year but now, for some reason I can't connect through my hub 3. I have tried turning off the 5Ghz channel as the Blink system only uses 2.4, didn't fix it...I was successful to connect from a mobile hotspot perfectly.

Do I really have to buy another router to fix this issue or did you manage to work another fix?

I guess many others are also having the same issue.

0 Kudos
gary_dexter
Alessandro Volta
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Just put the hub into modem mode with a better router or mesh system and be done with all these and future headaches

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi
0 Kudos
radioflyingman
Joining in
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Yes, the fix I applied has resolved the issue permanently.

My theory is that Virgin deliberately increased upstream latency to improve downstream performance during the last Covid lock-in when their networks were being stressed. It looks as if they used a software update to their routers to implement this.

By putting the router into modem mode you bypass all their routing table rules etc - so that's the fix, put the Virgin router into modem mode and then use another external router to manage the network locally, puts the whole installation back into your own control. The Fritzboz is a really easy to use router to use, it has very user friendly options to enable it's use as an external router and good online help.

0 Kudos