Menu
TonyJover
Dialled in
Message 1 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Best powerline adaptor?

Can anyone offer a recommendation for a decent powerline adaptor for Gig-E?

I've seen a few that boast up to 2000Mbps where reviewers state they can't achieve better than a few hundred Mbps. I'm currently using a WiFi repeater in that location but the speeds are awful so I want to go for a powerline device.  However if I'm going to go for that solution I want one that works and works well..

Thanks in advance,
Tony

0 Kudos
sophist
Problem sorter
Message 2 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Re: Best powerline adaptor?

the top of the line powerline stuff is, I believe, the devolo magic kit.. it's pricey though, and you could probably get a decent mesh system for a similar / slightly higher cost. 

powerline stuff has some niche uses, but it's always a last resort (imho).

0 Kudos
gary_dexter
Alessandro Volta
Message 3 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Don't go with powerlines. Look into a mesh system or running some cabling to a decent wireless access point or two

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi
0 Kudos
TonyJover
Dialled in
Message 4 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Mesh isn't really any help for me as it's an HP workstation that I need to connect that has a Gig-E network card but no wifi.

I'd run some Cat-6 cable if it wasn't such a god-awful route to get there.

0 Kudos
TonyJover
Dialled in
Message 5 of 10
Flag for a moderator

@sophist wrote:

the top of the line powerline stuff is, I believe, the devolo magic kit...

Thanks, I've been looking at it and was wondering why it's about 4 times the cost of some of the competition.  Perhaps the reason is that 'it works'!

0 Kudos
Z92
Problem sorter
Message 6 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Think I'd still prefer a decent mesh setup, if your HP doesn't have WiFi you can get a USB WiFi card for like £10, but make sure it's on a cable so you can get best performance. You can also get WiFi to Ethernet if you really wanted it, depends on your bandwidth requirements (but I think the newer USB WiFi stuff is pretty decent so I probably wouldn't use it now).

0 Kudos
sophist
Problem sorter
Message 7 of 10
Flag for a moderator

@TonyJover wrote:

Mesh isn't really any help for me as it's an HP workstation that I need to connect that has a Gig-E network card but no wifi.

I'd run some Cat-6 cable if it wasn't such a god-awful route to get there.

many mesh devices come with a couple of ethernet ports.. so you could still wire in the workstation directly to a mesh unit.. 

0 Kudos
TonyJover
Dialled in
Message 8 of 10
Flag for a moderator

@Z92 wrote:

Think I'd still prefer a decent mesh setup...

So what would be your recommendation?

0 Kudos
sophist
Problem sorter
Message 9 of 10
Flag for a moderator

@TonyJover wrote:

@Z92 wrote:

Think I'd still prefer a decent mesh setup...

So what would be your recommendation?

the TP-link deco line gets a good write-up around here (and elsewhere) as does asus kit.

you need to decide whether you want a dual-band or tri-band setup, tri-band is more expensive but uses a dedicated radio to backhaul traffic between mesh units.. you also need to decide whether you want wifi-6 or are happy with AC.  Wifi6 is the latest standard, so will give you some future-proofing, but you're unlikely to have that many devices that will make use of it today.

0 Kudos
TonyJover
Dialled in
Message 10 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Thanks 😀

This solution is only to get the one workstation up on the net so wifi-6 would be overkill I think. 

0 Kudos