Menu
Paul33
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Best Thro-Mains broadband Extender ?

Because one of my kids needs access to broadband several walls away from the router, the only option we've had is to use through the mains extenders and have been using the BT Flex 500 system.

Now, because of the failure of one of the units, I need to replace the system but haven't a clue what to go for as there seem to be various choices out there ...... BT and otherwise !

Can anybody suggest the best kit/system that doesn't cost a fortune ? He's a gamer so needs as much of the 150Mbps we receive to get through to his desktop PC.

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Alessandro Volta
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Re: Best Thro-Mains broadband Extender ?

My lad is a gamer and swears by the units made by "Solwise" . However, take a look at this...

https://www.techradar.com/uk/news/the-best-powerline-adaptors

--------------------
Services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
Paul33
On our wavelength
Message 3 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for that link.

Can you clarify the significance of the advertised maximum speeds on these powerline extenders ? 

I'm seeing max speeds of 500, 600, 750, 1000, 1200 Mbps but my Virgin inbound broadband speed is 150Mbps so ...... I'm confused here. On the face of it, a 500 kit would be just as good as a 1000 kit so presumably I'm comparing the wrong data here (megabits and megabytes ?) !!!

Can somebody clarify what advantage I would get from the higher speed extenders given my inbound broadband speed ?

0 Kudos
griffin
Alessandro Volta
Message 4 of 4
Flag for a moderator

The advertised speeds are the theoretical speeds in one direction, due to the adapters being half duplex, overheads and electrical noise on your mains, actual speeds will be around 15 - 25% of advertised.

First of all I would ensure you get adapters with gigabit ports. (most AV500 adapters only have 100Mbps ports).
I would also go for pass through sockets so you don't lose an electrical socket.

I would read individual reviews to get actual tested speeds, bearing in mind that performance will depend on how much noise is present on your electrical mains, which may not be the same as the test site. Obviously, the further the ubits are apart, the more noise they will encounter on the signa;#s journey through the electrical mains.

Wireless speeds will have other factors affecting speed like client capability, range from the adapter, interference and the number of devices in range sharing the same wireless channel.

Basically, I would make sure that the wireless capabilities of the adapter at least matches your wireless client capabilities. So, if you have MIMO wireless AX clients I would check that the adapter has the same.

I have trialed two sets of Powerline Adapters for VM the Netgear PL1000, getting wired and wireless speeds of 140  - 180Mbps and the Comtrend 1200  Powerline Adapters getting speeds of around  180Mbps - 240Mbps. But bear in mind this was on the same electrical circuit, your electrical mains will differ from mine

0 Kudos