Menu
Adamjhackett
Joining in
Message 1 of 2
Flag for a moderator

Best Mesh network setup

I currently have a Hub 4.0 with 500 mb, my wired connection is perfect, but even when i stand next to the router i struggle t get >50mb. I've accepted that the only way to fix this is to get myself a Mesh netwrok. I'm happy to spend whatever it takes to get a Wi-fi network, but don't want to end up throwing good money away when a cheaper option might do the same thing.

I live in an average size 3 bedroom house, my VM hub is located in my entrance hall at the bottom of my stairs.

Should I get a 3 pack Mesh or would a 2 pack be enough?

I've been looking at some options, could you advise if any of these are any good?

1) TP Link M5

2) TP Link M9

3) Netgear Orbi AC3000

4) Netgear Nighthawk Wifi-6

With 4) i do hae an iphone 11 and will be getting a new Macbook Pro M1 soon which i know will be wi-fi 6 comp.

Thanks

Adam

0 Kudos
Andruser
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 2
Flag for a moderator

Re: Best Mesh network setup

They're all good options, depends on what you want.  In a property like the one you describe a two unit system should suffice unless you've got solid brick internal walls, in which case three might be a better bet.  I've got two TP-Link Deco M4 units serving a medium large 4 bed detached, and giving good coverage across the garden, and (just) offering a useable signal in the detached garage at the end of the garden.  But this is a modern house with partition walls or lightweight block for the internal supporting walls.

But if you're only getting 50 Mbps off a Hub 4, then even allowing for its cheapskate spec, there is something amiss, it should do a lot better than that.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos