cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best 3rd Party Router for Virgin Media?

ALI15D
Joining in

Hi all, hope everyone is staying well and safe!

Quick question please if I may; 

What is the best router I can buy (i don't care about costs*) to use for a stable wifi connection using the Virgin Media service? 
*Within reason under £1000, preferably up to £500.

I am totally sick and tired of feeling sick and tired due to the unstable and poor wifi connection at home using the router supplied (Hub 3).

Legally VirginMedia can get away with this, as the terms clearly state download speed delivered to the property and not wifi. So whilst the actual speeds are getting delivered I am somewhat unable to utilize this. 

When I spoke to VirginMedia they even offered me to sign up (extra costs) to this white booster hub or something just like a powerline. This does nothing! Absolutely utter garbage. Just an extra £3 a month or whatever! For something that does nothing argh!

I have had several engineers visit my premises (most young lads who look clueless) do the same old standard checks.... they could not find anything. I have had my hub replaced like for like. Config changed. 2/5ghz split.  

I have been having these dropouts and wifi issues for more than a year with no compensation applied to my account. 

I'm not asking for much - Just to get supplied with what I pay for that is usable.

I live in a flat with reinforced concentrate if this could be taken into account with router suggestions. I just want to get this annoying problem resolved as I have had enough now. 

13 REPLIES 13

Shaney118
Joining in

I use Tp-Link Deco P9 whole house mesh WiFi. Fantastic bit of kit. No dead spots whatsoever and delivers WiFi a lot faster that the Hub 3. 

I tried P9s and X60s and all of them did the same - dropped off intermittently - think best option is to run cable and attach APs - 

Doubt exclusive to VM but the amount of posts on intermittent Wifi is incredible and the amount of 'silence' from VM is deafening!

Yes I know VM dont guarantee Wifi but it is 2021!!

Just get these all your problems sorted love mine 

https://www.amazon.co.uk/ASUS-ZenWiFi-AX-Whole-Home-XT8/dp/B082T48132

@nickw310771 wrote:

Yes I know VM dont guarantee Wifi but it is 2021!!

Data in the air where the link speed changes so much vs a wire where link speed is fixed is why its still 2021 and beyond.   

---------------------------------------------------------------