Menu
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Bending ethernet cable

I'm just about to route my Ethernet cable from my router all the way to my shed, however, I wanted to ask whether the bend of a cable can affect the transmission. I'll be bending the cable around my house many times as well as drilling through walls. The cable is roughly 40m long and is Cat 7.

Ethernet - https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07JD2MTB8/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Tags (4)
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Hero
Message 2 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Re: Bending ethernet cable

To be on the safe side keep the bend radius of the ethernet cable to a minimum of 25mm (1 inch).

***********************************************************************************************************************************

Mike Robinson
Aircraft Engineer & Computer Based Training and Learning Designer for many of the world's Military Arms.

My Broadband Ping - 26_Aug_2020
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 3 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Thanks, I'll keep that in mind

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 8
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Broadly speaking, bending it is fine, although that's circular profile weatherproof cable, so you might have to accept slight bowing round corners rather than forcing to exactly a ninety degree fit, as doing that might compromise either conductors or insulation.  Bending cable is normally only a problem with coaxial cables, because distortion of the circular profile or kinking causes signal attenuation and internal reflections that raise noise levels.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 5 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Thanks mate, I'll try my best to keep it safe

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Dialled in
Message 6 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Considering ethernet cable consists of several twisted pairs of thinner cable I wouldn't be too concerned about bending:

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Hero
Message 7 of 8
Flag for a moderator

It isn't just about the cable core but also the insulating sheaths.

Too tight they stretch and may lose their insulating properties.

Always work on a minimum bend radius of 4 or 5 times the outer sheath diameter.

***********************************************************************************************************************************

Mike Robinson
Aircraft Engineer & Computer Based Training and Learning Designer for many of the world's Military Arms.

My Broadband Ping - 26_Aug_2020
Highlighted
Legend
Message 8 of 8
Flag for a moderator

The specification I have read is 10 x the outer diameter. 

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2
0 Kudos