Menu
coskermike
Tuning in
Message 1 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Bad internet speeds

Hi guys.

Hope you are all well. We are having trouble with our home internet speeds. Over wi-fi we are typically 8-20meg and hard wired we are getting between 30 and 180 meg. Even if I stand next to the WiFi box the strength doesn't increase. We have tried shutting the box down and also using the reset button at the back.

Any help would be very much appreciated.

Best regards

Mike

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Re: Bad internet speeds

What package are you on?
What Hub model do you have?
Do a quick check that all of your coax connections are in nice and "finger" tight at the Hub and wall box and at any splitters/attenuators/etc with no “unterminated loose ends, and that the internal wiring is ok with no kinking or chaffing. Also check that all looks good with the outside cabling and wall box.

NB - try a reset again - with the Hub on throughout hold the pin in firmly for 60 seconds, release and wait 5 minutes

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
coskermike
Tuning in
Message 3 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Hi John

Thank you for getting back to me. We are on a hub 3.0 and our package is the M350 fibre broadband. All connections etc checked as you suggested and the box has been reset too. 

I look forward to hearing back from you

Best regards

Mike

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Ok lets park the wifi issue for now and try this.

Knowing that a pinhole reset on a Hub3 can be a bit problematic - so do it one last time EXACTLY this way (not as the VM website says!).

With the Hub "on" disconnect any ethernet connections and push in the “reset pin” with the end of a paperclip/thin nail or similar (bigger items like ball point pen ends may not press it in far enough) until you feel it at the “stop point” and hold it there firmly for a "timed" minimum of "60" seconds do NOT restart the Hub after that. Leave it 5' or so to stabilise and then your passwords/passphrase for both the Hub settings and the Wifi networks will revert to the two printed on the Hub sticker on its base/side/card. Make sure you use the wifi one for devices connecting to the wifi and the settings one to access the Hub.

Then... (I take it you are not getting any "disconnections"?).. if you think that you still have a BB speed problem, then to check the actual speeds being delivered to your Hub, and whether they match what you should be getting, you cannot rely on wifi tests, - no BB supplier guarantees those - only speeds "to" the Hub are guaranteed.

So, you need to do it directly.... that's on an ethernet cable (Cat5e/6) connected to a Gb enabled computer/laptop, with up to date drivers with the Hub in modem mode. Test at speedtest.net to your nearest VM server - try 2 different browsers.

If they are still low – boot the device into safe+networking mode and try again to eliminate any software that is on the device that is limiting your speeds - there are "llots" of examples on here of things which do that.

Report back what those tests gets.

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos