Menu
Catt69
Joining in
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Bad connection to TV

Hey all

I've had so many issues since I joined 6 weeks ago. But latest issue is the connection direct to my TV (not TV box)

It's so slow and only I get about 10 seconds of playing from an app (britbox) before it starts buffering and then after the 3rd time of buffering it completely stops and app is then stuck. 

My hub is in the next room without any interference between them. 

I've rebooted hub and changed the wireless channels and nothing works. 

My daughters computer has been unable to connect for long also, and her room is directly above the hub. 

Upstairs is a nightmare, using all our data on our phones as WiFi won't connect. 

I'm going nuts here, never had this problem with sky or EE 

Had an engineer come last week and he fixed a couple of the errors I was having. (The TV box is now no longer buffering when watching).

Has anyone got any tips that can boost the connection etc?

Thanks in advance. 

0 Kudos
gary_dexter
Alessandro Volta
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Re: Bad connection to TV

If it’s in another room presumably there’s a wall between them?

This is an obstruction/interference.

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi
0 Kudos
Catt69
Joining in
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Are you trying to be funny? 🤣

I think you know what I meant, bar the wall there is nothing, nothing electrical, no other WiFi devices etc etc 

So, what you're saying is that even though my hub is only 4 metres away from my TV I shouldn't expect to be able to connect it to the WiFi because of a hollow wall? 😂🤪

0 Kudos
newapollo
Hero
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Try the  Service Status number  0800 561 0061.  This often gives details of localised issues down to postcode level.

You should also sign into Check Service status at the top of this page

It shows any other known local faults, but more importantly you can also run a test against the hub. By doing this VM should be able to try and connect to your box and determine what  the problem is. Sometimes this results in them sending out a replacement and/or engineer, which saves a phone call.

You could  do a search for an app such as wifi analyzer which tells you the strength of the channel you are connected on, and also shows other channels so you can decide if you want to change the channel number on your hub

Open a browser and log into your hub 192.168.0.1 - then navigate to Advanced Settings > Wireless > Wireless Signal >  click on Disable Channel Optimization and then beneath both the 5Ghz and  2.4GHz sections click on the manual button, and in the drop down box click on the channel number you want to change it to, then scroll down and  click on Apply Changes

Have you also tried splitting the 2.4GHz and the 5GHz signals? 2.4GHz is a stronger signal but slower than 5GHz so if you have problems on 5GHz change to 2.4GHz.

Open a browser and log into your hub 192.168.0.1 - then navigate to the following settings so you can differentiate between the signals.

Advanced Settings > Wireless Signal > click on Disable Channel Optimization  then scroll down and  click on Apply Changes. 

Now go to Advanced Settings > Wireless > Security > Add a 5 to the 5 GHz Channel name  and click on Apply Changes.

You can leave the passwords the same as they are.  Then log out of the hub at the top of the page

You will need to reconnect all you Wi-Fi devices some will want to connect to 5Ghz and some to 2.4GHz and some will connect to either.

Dave

The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali
0 Kudos
Zach_R
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Hi @Catt69,

Thank you for your post and welcome to our community forums. We're here to help.

I am really sorry to hear that you're having some issues with your connection, which from what you've explained seems to be affecting the reach and strength of your wireless/Wi-Fi signal.

Is this issue ongoing for you today? If so, have you checked our Service Status page to see if there are any known area impacting faults that may be causing this problem? Can you also confirm what other diagnostics and troubleshooting you've carried out thus far to try and remedy this? I can see that @newapollo has provided some suggestions in their response.

Thanks,

Zach - Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos