cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BT cut through my virgin media cable !?

Bench8245
Tuning in

So I am leaving BT to join Virgin, I left Virgin about 13 months ago to join BT, but when the BT engineer came out to install their cable I watched him cut another cable, I even asked him why and I remember him telling me you don’t need that now we all use the openreach network, but don’t virgin media use their own cable? 

My Virgin kit arrives in a few weeks but I assume this will now not work? 

I have seen quite a few people have the same issue but haven’t seen a outcome?

any advice would be appreciated as BT don’t seem interested - probably because I am leaving them!

4 REPLIES 4

Client62
Hero

I am very surprised at wilful damage by BT a engineer to unrelated cables.

Call the Pre-installation and delivery team on 0800 052 1734 and explain the cable needs to be reinstated.

They don't need the know about BT or why it was removed.  But you do need an engineer to get it working again.

Thanks for the reply,

I have rang this number and booked an engineer visit!

I was surprised at first too, but after a Google search it seems quite common.

Do you have a landline phone?  Are you switching that to Virgin?

Whilst BT (OpenReach) cables are separate from Virgin Media cables there are (or were) circumstances where they might need to disconnect (but not really remove) each others wiring for telephone connections.

As you probably know, Virgin are moving landlines to the broadband connection, so the phone port is on the hub.  If you have any extensions wired in, and want to continue using those, you’d need to sort out suitable wiring, bypassing the BT master socket.

Incidentally such incidents are seemingly common - when my daughter moved and wanted to take her Shell broadband with her, because it was cheap, Openreach found that a fibre provider had allegedly cut their cable into a whole block of flats in London.  It would take months and planning permissions to resolve.  She had little option but to go with the Fibre provider. She got faster speeds but had to pay double.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I know a bit about Wi-Fi, Telecoms, and TV as I used to do it for a living but I'm not perfect so don't beat me up... If you make things you make mistakes!

Thank your four reply.

I had virgin media a couple of years ago, then switched to BT but I am now switching back to Virgin.

Yes I have a landline and that will be switched too,

I’m hoping the Virgin media engineer can do all of it for me but they cannot come out until I have my equipment, which is on the 24th March, they are booked in for the morning on the 25th, I will have to wait until then to see what exactly needs to be repaired / replaced!

I was very surprised how common this actually is, surely it causes a lot of unnecessary work, looks like the companies are out to get each other.