Menu
skyuser
Tuning in
Message 1 of 4
Flag for a moderator

BT Whole Home Discs with VM SH3 -- Some thoughts

I moved to VM back end of 2020. Had some speed issues (wired), fluctuating between 200 - 300 mbps on M500.  This resolved itself after a few weeks - no idea how!

So, VM SH3 as a router (wifi off) - with BT WH discs worked ok - wifi everywhere in the house at 200 - 500 Mbps depending on range from nearest disc. Latency was really bad, really bad.

Put the VM SH3 into modem mode - going into a TP Link C3200 Wan port  (wifi off) doing the routing - no latency issues - very minimal.

Connected the BT WH disc's hardwired back to the TP Link C3200 via switches etc and now almost anywhere in the house - connect to the nearest node - full speeds - wired (expected) and wireless 500+ Mbps

I noticed with just the first disc hardwired (you have to do this) the other disc's connected spaced apart wirelessly - speeds were good - but dropped off <200 mbps sometimes even less.

The more I tried to hardwire each aditional disc back to the router or to a switch (linked back to the router) it really helped.

So, now all three BT WH disc's hardwired allow me to get full speeds wirelessly everywhere and latency is much better than using the VMSH3 as a router.

I don't have experience of other mesh systems - these BT WH are old tech now (3 years+?)  but still really work well. Just wish I could get an all in one modem/router to replace the VM SH3, stuck with it unfortunately.

0 Kudos
gary_dexter
Alessandro Volta
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Re: BT Whole Home Discs with VM SH3 -- Some thoughts

Does the TP-Link router not provide enough coverage by itself?

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi
0 Kudos
skyuser
Tuning in
Message 3 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Hey,
Yes, the TP Link is quite good - tri band (old tech as well actually....), probably about 4 years old.
Issues is, it was placed on middle floor (open reach socket was here...so gave great coverage g/floor, 1st (where it was next to mastersocket) + the office on 2nd floor..

VM only got the cable into g/floor - so as it was no longer in a central position... 2nd floor coverage was weak. Hence, the need for good wifi, then wired BT WH discs now allow for better coverage everywhere

However, I suspect multiple access points wired to the router will provide better coverage than a single wifi router. Curious to see how the newer BT WH premium disc's take things further/ to the next level.
0 Kudos
Tudor
Alessandro Volta
Message 4 of 4
Flag for a moderator

I suspect multiple access points wired to the router will provide better coverage than a single wifi router” in my experience this is very true. Of course depending on the house size only one point emitting WiFi cannot cover the whole area successfully. I’m a great believer in redundancy, I would never buy a retail router/WiFi/network switch in one unit. Separate units give better redundancy and give the option to reconfigure if one part of the system fails.

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2
0 Kudos