cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BROADBAND connection issue

ALF28
Super solver

Following a recent outage of the VM broadband yesterday, when it did return I had a problem, my own router kept  losing connection with ethernet but would work with wifi.

Having reset the router and checked cables the fault is still present.

It is possible my own router is faulty or has difficulty connecting to VM.

It was not a firewall issue as I checked that.

I am now back online by taking my VM hub 3 out of modem mode and using it as a router for wi-fi and ethernet, so will assume it was a router issue with my own tp-link?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Client62
Alessandro Volta

Reset your Wi-Fi Router and follow the process installing it as if it was a new Wi-Fi Router being configured with a Hub 3 in Modem mode for the first time.

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

11 REPLIES 11

Client62
Alessandro Volta

Reset your Wi-Fi Router and follow the process installing it as if it was a new Wi-Fi Router being configured with a Hub 3 in Modem mode for the first time.

Thanks for the advice,

I have  reset the hub 3 and continue  to use it in router mode at the moment, and not using my own router.

The connection  problem now resolved a week or so ago in modem mode has resolved (but now the hub is  in router mode),network logs recorded were-

SYNC Timing Synchronization failure - Loss of Sync

RCS Partial Service

Lost MDD Timeout

Today the hub 3 is working fine in router mode, but a network log shows -

NOTICE ATOM is restarted due to RPC timeout as part of Self Healing Mechanism

The hub is working so I assume it has repaired the fault?- or may still have issues with the chip/memory?

This notice occurred during the hub 3 boot up as I had switched off the hub  previously.

I will check to see if the notice appears again.

I have also added mac filtering for my wi-fi devices for security.

The problems with connectivity of ethernet  cables and wi-fi  seem to have resolved since the hub reset.

Hi ALF28, thanks for the message and welcome back to the forums. 

I am happy to hear that the issues with the connection have now been resolved. 

Please monitor the connection and let us know if anything changes? 

Kind regards, Chris. 

The Hub 3 connection problem happened again yesterday morning,  and I was locked out of the hub settings page, no wi-fi and no internet and I had to ring 150 for technical help, which found my hub 3 settings needed changing and several reboots needed. The 5g wi-fi had to be switched on, not off, although most of the time it uses 2.4g.

The technical help was good and got me back on line, I looked at the network log and a fault was indicated-

NOTICE ATOM is restarted due to RPC timeout as part of Self Healing Mechanism;CM

I hope it is fixed now, but should it repeat I will ring 150 again.

Joseph_B
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hey @ALF28,

Thanks for getting back to us and sorry that this had happened again.

Do let us know if things like this continue and we will certainly look into this for you.

Joe

I had problems with my hub3 today, the ethernet cable works but wi-fi would not connect an any devices, so I reset the hub3 pin reset that solved the problem but computers still not connecting but TV and tablet connected on 5g, not 2.4g. The 5g was only 34%marginal but worked on the devices  V6 and tablet.

Computers needed a reset as the ssid had changed, however I decided to go back to modem mode and using my own router which only has 2.4g,I have a mix of old and new equipment so 2.4g works best. It could be the 2.4g is faulty on the hub3 but an intermittent fault.

All working OK but lots of connectivity issues lately, using the ethernet seems to disrupt the wi-fi sometimes, losing wi-fi after an ethernet cable has been used.

Some of the issues can be caused when windows updates, such as losing wi-fi printers which were working previously and have had to re-install the wi-fi printers.

I will post any other issues.

Working OK at the moment with my own router and hub 3  in modem mode at the moment.

I suspect the hub 3 may be doDgy also had recent network logs-

31/07/2023 14:59:36criticalNo Ranging Response received - T3 time-out;CM-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CMTS-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;
31/07/2023 14:59:12criticalUnicast Maintenance Ranging attempted - No response - Retries exhausted;CM-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CMTS-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;
31/07/2023 14:59:12criticalRanging Request Retries exhausted;CM-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CMTS-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;
31/07/2023 14:25:16criticalNo Ranging Response received - T3 time-out;CM-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CMTS-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;
31/07/2023 14:25:11criticalUnicast Maintenance Ranging attempted - No response - Retries exhausted;CM-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CMTS-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;
31/07/2023 14:25:11criticalRanging Request Retries exhausted;CM-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CMTS-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;
31/07/2023 14:22:58criticalNo Ranging Response received - T3 time-out;CM-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CMTS-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;
31/07/2023 14:22:52criticalUnicast Maintenance Ranging attempted - No response - Retries exhausted;CM-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CMTS-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;
31/07/2023 14:22:52criticalRanging Request Retries exhausted;CM-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CMTS-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;
31/07/2023 14:19:59criticalNo Ranging Response received - T3 time-out;CM-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CMTS-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;
31/07/2023 14:19:46criticalUnicast Maintenance Ranging attempted - No response - Retries exhausted;CM-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CMTS-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;

SLOW BROADBAND SPEED but only on WI-FI own tp-link router.

I am in modem mode but wi-fi speed is slow- but if I switch to ethernet the speed is fast so I will check my wi-fi settings. It is possible that other signals are clashing, next door using a three router.

There are no known broadband issues 

wi-fi speed test- note one test showed a speed below 1mb/s

35 ms5.02 Mb/s15.76 Mb/s

etherent speedtest-

27 ms76.56 Mb/s

20.14 Mb/s

Hi ALF28,

Thanks for posting and sorry to hear you're having some connection issues. 

We're limited to what we can advise if you're in modem mode using third party devices.

Can you confirm if you have any connection issues when your hub is in router mode?

Alex_Rm

thanks for he reply-

Today all working OK wi-fi speed 58mbps/20mbps ping 20

ethernet cable 94mbps/20mbps ping 20

I will monitor how things go, I suspect that the wi-fi can have issues and can be due to the speed dropping or no signal. This happens with my own router and also the same  with the hub 3 in router mode, so not sure if VM throttle the speed at times or some other cause that affects the wi-fi but not the ethernet.

It is possible that my own routers or the  hub 3 may have intermittent fault over the last few weeks with some critical logs occurring or it could be an external/area issue, on some occasions when I have rang up an area fault was indicated, so just see how things go.

If I get any further issues I will revert to hub 3 as a router and ring 150, but I do find my own tp-link has a good connection with wi-fi  57% (2.4g) good on My V6 box, was only 34%marginal on hub 3 (5g)

No action needed at present, but will update if I have new issues.