Menu
Highlighted
Lighthugger
Joining in
Message 1 of 3
Flag for a moderator

BQM question

How accurate and reliable is the BQM graph?

I have a meeting tomorrow with the local Virgin manager and the network engineer.  They say I don't have a problem because the network (my connection) is monitored and doesn't show any dropouts.  I am getting interruptions in my broadband ranging from 2 secs to 60 seconds, maybe 5-10/day.  The interruptions correspond to red spikes on the BQM graph.

I also run the EMCO ping program. The free version pings upto 5 sites and also pings your own modem to check for local cable (or wifi) fault, it chimes when connection is lost.  The chimes match up with the BQM spikes, if I attempt to load a new website after being notified of a connection failure it does not load (duh!).

It was suggested by the network guy that my PCs might be the issue (2 of them), so I bought a new laptop (I'd been thinking about it anyway), no surprise that it didn't make any difference, nor did the replacement modem.  I have even checked the AC voltage between earth and neutral to make sure it is zero (I used to be a field engineer in the US and this often caused weird issues).

So, can I give the manager a copy of the BQM graph look him in the eye and confidently tell him he has a problem?

0 Kudos
legacy1
Alessandro Volta
Message 2 of 3
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: BQM question

For the most part yes the BQM is reliable you could also run a ping to the WAN IP gateway as a first hop test and if the two match up its a problem.

0 Kudos
Lighthugger
Joining in
Message 3 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Re: BQM question

It proved to be a most unsatisfactory meeting.  I showed the manager and the network engineer the EMCO reports indicating the ping timeouts and the BQM graphs.  I also indicated that I could ping my public ip address when I could not ping a remote site.  I showed them then T3 timeouts list from the hub and it was all dismissed.  I was then mocked by the network guy who said: "so, now you think you're a network engineer?".  I tried to tell him that my Superhub3  does not immediately reboot on loss of signal and he told me I was wrong - I later timed it by disconnecting incoming cable (it takes 4min21secs).

The manager decided to have the cable from house to street replaced not only did it make no difference to the broadband but it disabled incoming phone calls.  I have not heard from them since.

When the Virgin broadband is working it is great and, to be fair, I've only had 2 major problems in 5 years but trying to persuade Virgin that you have a problem is frustrating and the call centre is a waste of time and effort.  The final straw was the close minded network engineer's visit who would rather tell me I don't have an issue than listen and help.  I was an electronic field engineer for 40 years and I learned to listen to customers, if you don't they leave and with that in mind, I have ordered my new ISP service which should be ready by end of the month, once it's up, I'll cancel VM.  Good luck to you all, hope your issues are quickly resolved.

0 Kudos