Menu
deans6571
Trouble shooter
Message 1 of 7
Flag for a moderator

BQM Chart - Never seen this before....?!!!!

...so looking on yesterday's BQM, its showing some strange abnormalities :

deans6571_0-1624613940865.png

Never have I seen my chart looking like this.....????!

This is what my charts normally look like (these are from the past week :

Monday 21st June

deans6571_1-1624614033311.png

Tuesday 22nd

deans6571_2-1624614130974.png

Wednesday 23rd

deans6571_3-1624614187817.png

These are from last week:

Monday 14th

deans6571_4-1624614269225.png

Tuesday 15th

deans6571_5-1624614329349.png

Wednesday 16th

deans6571_6-1624614390971.png

Friday 18th (Thursday's one was all red!)

deans6571_7-1624614473473.png

Saturday 19th

deans6571_8-1624614531523.png

Sunday 20th

deans6571_9-1624614697754.png

jpeg1
Superstar
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Re: BQM Chart - Never seen this before....?!!!!

I had something very similar at the same time (London area), and some other posted BQMs showed the same.  Looks like it was a wider network issue.

0 Kudos
Andrew-G
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Hopefully the "volcano" BQM is a one off due to equipment faults or internet routing issues.  If it doesn't recur I'd be more concerned with the regular BQM, that might be showing low levels of over-utilisation.  That would explain the generally excellent trace between half midnight and circa 9 am, but the problematic latency spikes through the day and evening that would be very bad for gaming and any video call uses.  14th of June in particular looks like classic over-utilisation trace. 

Even if I'm right, the outlook would be poor, because by judging by what we see here, it probably isn't at the level to pass the Networks team's criteria for over-utilisation, and in that case it won't get fixed.  If it does get classified as over-utilisation and attract a fault reference, it's still at risk of not being fixed.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

jka94036
Up to speed
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Looks familiar with mine but mine not as bad

jka94036_0-1624616884028.png

Andrew-G
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator

@jka94036 No idea what's causing yours, but it's certainly not over-utilisation.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

0 Kudos
deans6571
Trouble shooter
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator

@Andrew-G wrote:

Hopefully the "volcano" BQM is a one off due to equipment faults or internet routing issues.  If it doesn't recur I'd be more concerned with the regular BQM, that might be showing low levels of over-utilisation.  That would explain the generally excellent trace between half midnight and circa 9 am, but the problematic latency spikes through the day and evening that would be very bad for gaming and any video call uses.  14th of June in particular looks like classic over-utilisation trace. 

Even if I'm right, the outlook would be poor, because by judging by what we see here, it probably isn't at the level to pass the Networks team's criteria for over-utilisation, and in that case it won't get fixed.  If it does get classified as over-utilisation and attract a fault reference, it's still at risk of not being fixed.

...thanks for this - all very helpful.

I totally get the whole over-utilisation thing and I am fully aware that its not something which can be fixed by the consumer - even VM won't get it fixed, sadly. The only real 'fix' is to switch provider but at the same time, this is never easy when the costs of all the services are factored in.🙁

It is weird though that my charts show over utilisation as all my speeds are spot on and exactly what I pay for:

deans6571_0-1624617618127.png

I also have 2 teenage sons who both game online in the evenings and they never complain of lag or poor connections....!!!

Andrew-G
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

@deans6571 It is weird though that my charts show over utilisation as all my speeds are spot on and exactly what I pay for....I also have 2 teenage sons who both game online in the evenings and they never complain of lag or poor connections....!!!

I'd strongly recommend that you don't change ISP just because of a graph!  If you're getting the speeds you expect, along with acceptable reliability, and the gamers are happy, then you've not got a problem, and if the price/performance is tolerable, then there must be other things more worth worrying about.  I'm all for demanding problems are fixed, or swapping supplier or complaining when there's a problem with connection, price or service, but doesn't sound like that's the case unless there's other things that haven't been mentioned in this short thread.

One other thing is to check that your current IP address is the same one the BQM is monitoring.  They don't change often, but occasionally they do.