cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Arrange an engineer to install new wired internet access point

wilsy96
Tuning in

I need to arrange an engineer to set up wired internet access in a second room of my house. I couldn't find where to arrange this so I'm hoping the staff on here can help me.

7 REPLIES 7

Tudor
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

VM do not install Ethernet cabling. Yo have to get an electrician to do it.

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2

What if there is virgin Tv box already in the room? the box had access to the internet as far as i know but I'm not sure how it's all connected

Hi @wilsy96 👋 Thank you for your posts 😀

Can you please clarify which device(s) you're looking to connect via ethernet cable? 

Is it just your set top box? If so, how close is your set top box to your Hub?

Regards,
Daniel

nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@wilsy96 wrote:

What if there is virgin Tv box already in the room? the box had access to the internet as far as i know but I'm not sure how it's all connected

The original TiVO box

Older TiVOOlder TiVO

had a modem built in that took internet from the coax. The new V6 & V360 boxes don’t have a modem, only cable tuners for the broadcast channels. So you will either have to set up the new boxes on WiFi, or run an Ethernet cable/use powerline connectors to get the internet content from your hub to the TV box. How you do this is up to you, as this is your own home networking setup & not part of Virgin’s system.

VM 350BB 2xV6 & Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, ASDA/Tesco PAYG Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Hi The device I'm trying to connect via ethernet cable would be a PC. The only reason I mention a virgin tv box in the same room is because that means there are already some form of Virgin cables coming in from outside the house through an exterior wall

Hi @wilsy96, thanks for reaching out to us on the Virgin Media forums. 👋🏼

Just to clarify - do you require a socket in your room? For the Virgin network services to connect towards?

Kind regards,
Ilyas.

Ilyas_Y
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

g0akc
Problem sorter

@wilsy96 wrote:

Hi The device I'm trying to connect via ethernet cable would be a PC. The only reason I mention a virgin tv box in the same room is because that means there are already some form of Virgin cables coming in from outside the house through an exterior wall

But it sounds like they are the wrong type of cable....

VM don't run Ethernet cables.  The only thing they would be able to do would be to relocate your hub to the new room or move your TV box to that room.  They would charge £25 to do that.  The hub would no longer be in the current location which might mean you have problems connecting what is currently there.

If you cannot run Ethernet cables yourself various computer shops and computer network firms can arrange this, or some electricians.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I know a bit about Wi-Fi, Telecoms, and TV as I used to do it for a living but I'm not perfect so don't beat me up... If you make things you make mistakes!