Menu
Joining in
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Archer C2300 + Hub 3 installation

Fed up with very wonky, inconsistent, droppy, slow, wi-fi, nowhere near the 200Mbps I paid for, I have ordered an Archer C2300. After looking at these here boards, TP-Link routers seem to have solved most peoples Virgin wifi woes - as much as I'd like to move, the speeds on offer are just way faster than I can get elsewhere. (In theory, anyway!)

I know to set up the Hub 3 in Modem mode, plug it to the Archer via ethernet cable, & ensure the Archer is DHCP enabled. But I have dozens & dozens of wifi devices, and I don't fancy changing the wifi log-in details for all of them!

Am I able to set the Archer wifi and password to be exactly the same as the Hub 3 currently uses, so that the devices see it and join as before, thinking nothing has changed?

Thanks for reading.

0 Kudos
Up to speed
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Re: Archer C2300 + Hub 3 installation

"Am I able to set the Archer wifi and password to be exactly the same as the Hub 3 currently uses, so that the devices see it and join as before, thinking nothing has changed?"

Yes, of course.

Have to mention it, because someone else will 🙂 -There is a *slight* possibility that some WiFi devices can get confused by a change of device while using the same credentials. Doesn't usually happen though.Just try it and see.

Oomph Hub3 (modem mode) RT-AC68U with Merlin F/W.

My Broadband Ping - VirginMedia

My Broadband Speed Test
0 Kudos
Joining in
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator

veRe: Archer C2300 + Hub 3 installation

Excellent news, thanks!

The stuff I have connected are laptops, phones, tablets, security cameras, lots of smart plugs, Sonoff switches, TV's, light bulbs, Roku sticks, Fire sticks, etc. Hopefully, they'll not notice the difference, but I'm old enough to realise that life is very rarely as easy as you plan it to be!

The router should arrive early next week - I'll post back how it went.

0 Kudos
Joining in
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Re: veRe: Archer C2300 + Hub 3 installation

In the end, I got an Archer C4000, as the C2300 was out of stock. Bit more expensive, but it's tri-band, so you get more for your money.

I switched the Hub 3 to modem mode, unplugged it, switched the ethernet cables to the Archer, put a new ethernet cable between the two, then switched them both back on.

Downloaded the router app to my phone, followed the instructions and I was connected. I changed the Wi-Fi SSID and password to exactly what the Hub 3's was, and it worked perfectly. Everything reconnected, and within 10 minutes I was back up and running. Painless.

The speeds I am getting are an absolute revelation. For the first time, I'm getting the speeds I actually pay for, and the range is far, far bigger as well. No buffering or delays whatsoever - I can play a video immediately, rather than waiting a couple of seconds for it to load. Devices that struggled to join because they were not next to the Hub 3 now join with no difficulties at all.

So, if your Hub 3 wireless performance is driving you nuts, I can recommend the Archer C4000, and I suspect the Archer C2300 would work just as well. It's a shame that Virgin, having done the hard work to get the fibre into the house, then let themselves down by using a cheap router.

0 Kudos
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Re: veRe: Archer C2300 + Hub 3 installation

Good choice 🙂

Always the best solution is to get your own wifi equipment and use the Hub in modem mode 🙂

--------------------
John
--------------------

My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos