Menu
SJMcG
On our wavelength
Message 41 of 59
Flag for a moderator

Re: Apparent Hub 3.0 Freeze

Hi Sasha,

Issue just reoccurred. Same characteristics as before. 

I tested and wired connectivity directly into the hub was down - no IPs were being issued.

Hub light remained white, as it did in previous incidents. 

I used an external website (via my phone's data) to ping the public IP of my hub and it was still responding, so the connection was up. Thinkbroadband corroborated this as it showed the connection monitor was up the whole time.

There were 2 entries into the log this morning, but they were at approx 60 to 90 mins before the issue.

0 Kudos
SJMcG
On our wavelength
Message 42 of 59
Flag for a moderator

These were the entries in the log:

13/04/2021 06:53:20noticeNOTICE ATOM is restarted as part of Self Healing Mechanism;CM-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CMTS-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;
13/04/2021 06:19:23Warning!RCS Partial Service;CM-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CMTS-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;

The outage was about 7:50, but I've just realised the hub's time must be on GMT so the 'notice' entry was actually at the same time as the outage this time.

0 Kudos
Rusk
Tuning in
Message 43 of 59
Flag for a moderator

That is exactly how mine was behaving. It is obvious it is the hub freezing up. I had two replacement hubs during troubleshooting, the first one seemed to be ok for about 2 months but then started with the same issue and the second had the issue within days.

It is as clear as day that the hub is only capable of modem operation. 

SJMcG
On our wavelength
Message 44 of 59
Flag for a moderator

Yeah seems that way.

Incredible really that VM won't admit this fundamental issue.

0 Kudos
Shoal
On our wavelength
Message 45 of 59
Flag for a moderator

I have just found this thread and I have had exactly the same problem for the past 6 months and I had come to the conclusion it was the hub3 locking up.

About once or twice a week  I lose internet connectivity via wifi, then wifi shuts down, I cant communicate with the hub via wired conection and pressing the front panel button does nothing. The hub never recovers until you power cycle then its fine. When it fails the thinkbroadband monitor shows a short spike with total packet loss then it says everything is working....but its not. An engineer checked over the internal and external wiring and swapped the hub, checked the levels  but the problem persists. The other cable services (phone,tv) are not affected, just the hub. 

In a way I am glad that it isnt just me with the problem, not that I wish this on anyone else, as its very frustrating but its clearly a more common issue and VM need to sort it out. 

In my case it started about Sep 2020, before then we had a very reliable network connection but not any more and its hard to describe the actual fault to VM as once rebooted its working again. Has anyone had a resolution to this....other than changing supplier

0 Kudos
SJMcG
On our wavelength
Message 46 of 59
Flag for a moderator

I just bit the bullet and bought a separate router, putting the Hub 3 into modem mode. Never goes down now.

0 Kudos
Shoal
On our wavelength
Message 47 of 59
Flag for a moderator

was thinking of doing that, annoyingly I got an email from VM at end of March offering a Hub4 at no cost, just follow link. problem was it went to spam folder and I only found it 4v weeks later and link didnt work. I put in complaint and reply was yes its authorised just order it then was passed around for an hour by people who said they didnt know anything or doubted I had received an email, in the end they just said it was a trial, it was too late and flatly refused to honour their offer...I thought a hub4 might fix this lockup issue but im still stuck with it. what router did you go with?
0 Kudos
SJMcG
On our wavelength
Message 48 of 59
Flag for a moderator

I've not heard good things about the hub 4 either, but not had any experience with it myself. 

I bought a TP Link Archer AX50 in the end. Seems reasonably good so far. I'm having some WiFi issues, but I think it's just config and I have a couple of other Cisco APs that are complicating matters. 

0 Kudos
Shoal
On our wavelength
Message 49 of 59
Flag for a moderator

i'll have a look at that one in the morning, I had thought of one of the asus routers, the RT-AC3200 used to get good reviews but that was a few years ago, I imagine things have moved on a bit hopefully. Interesting what you said about the hub4, its on a list of "dont use" routers on this site along with the hub3 so probably modem mode and a decent router is the way to go although it is not clear whether my hub3 will still lock-up when in modem mode, if it does then I would still have the same problem
0 Kudos
SJMcG
On our wavelength
Message 50 of 59
Flag for a moderator

The router I went for has a few decent features, like WiFi 6, but overall it's a fairly cheap model so not necessarily the best on the market. I didn't need great WiFi range because of my other APs so your needs may be different.

As for the hub still locking up - mine stopped and so did many others if you search this forum and elsewhere online. I was in the same situation as you - I didn't really want to pay for the router out of principle, but it is the solution unfortunately. 

0 Kudos