Menu
Rusk
Tuning in
Message 31 of 59
Flag for a moderator

Re: Apparent Hub 3.0 Freeze

Nope! My advice is give up on the hub and use it only as a modem. I bought a mesh WiFi system and since day one of turning that on and having the Virgin hub be only a modem I haven't had a single issue.

The Virgin hub is not fit for purpose when trying to be a modem and WiFi router and massively under spec'd. It works fine as a modem only. 

lotharmat
Well-informed
Message 32 of 59
Flag for a moderator

I agree! - Own router is definitely the way forward!

------------------------------------------------------------------
Hub 3 - Modem Mode - TP-Link Archer C7

0 Kudos
SJMcG
On our wavelength
Message 33 of 59
Flag for a moderator

I've had a relatively stable performance for a couple of months since getting VM, and was hoping to avoid forking out for my own router if I could help it, but since getting this issue recently I've been googling and seems you're not the only one to have the issue without resolution. Shambles from VM.

Don't suppose you managed to negotiate a discount for having to pay for your own device just to receive a stable service?? 🤔

0 Kudos
lotharmat
Well-informed
Message 34 of 59
Flag for a moderator

Alas - WiFi performance is not guaranteed at all! 😞

------------------------------------------------------------------
Hub 3 - Modem Mode - TP-Link Archer C7

0 Kudos
SJMcG
On our wavelength
Message 35 of 59
Flag for a moderator

Not talking about guaranteed WiFi though (have my own APs anyway), just about the supplied router not hanging and taking to entire connection down!

0 Kudos
Adduxi
Trouble shooter
Message 36 of 59
Flag for a moderator

@SJMcG wrote:

Not talking about guaranteed WiFi though (have my own APs anyway), just about the supplied router not hanging and taking to entire connection down!

VM only guarantee wired speeds at the Hub.  They will not give compensation for buying your own networking kit.

In all the years I've been with NTL/VM I've never used any of the supplied Superhubs/Hubs as Routers.  They go straight to Modem mode as I value my sanity too much 😉

0 Kudos
SJMcG
On our wavelength
Message 37 of 59
Flag for a moderator

My wired speed is zero when the hub freezes and goes down. 🙄

Thanks for the feedback everyone. May have to look for some options if this continues.

0 Kudos
Rusk
Tuning in
Message 38 of 59
Flag for a moderator

Sadly that won't wash. I had the same argument but the first stage in their troubleshooting is a reboot which always fixes the issue. Nothing shows in the logs and they cannot seem to do any level of debug. I was annoyed I would have to buy my own gear but as a techie I soon realised just how bad the hub was and how much better my network can be with kit actually designed to run properly.
0 Kudos
Sasha_W
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 39 of 59
Flag for a moderator

Afternoon @SJMcG

Thanks for posting this on here, sorry to hear you're having some ongoing issues. 

Could you just expand on the issues that you're having so we can look into this further? 

What speeds are you currently getting? Is it still on 0? 

Have you carried out any other checks? I appreciate this may sound obvious but have you checked our service status page for any outages? 

Please do let us know so we can run some further checks 🙂 

Thanks 

Sasha - Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos
SJMcG
On our wavelength
Message 40 of 59
Flag for a moderator

Hi Sasha,

Thanks for the response.

I've had 3 outages in the past week-10 days. Each time the following appears to be the case:

• All Wifi connectivity goes down
  • The hub is inaccessible (i.e. I can't ping it, or browse to the http interface)
  • My device loses its IP and gets an APIPA address (169.254.x.x IP that a PC gives itself if the DHCP server isn't issuing an address)
  • My thinkbroadband monitor doesn't show the internet connection is down

So the long and short is that I don't think the internet connection has gone down, it seems to be the Hub 3.0 freezing and locking up.

To fix it, I've just had to power cycle the hub and everything comes back after a few minutes. When I check the logs, there's nothing to indicate that anything happened around the time of the outage, again suggesting the hub is just hanging and it's not caused by any upstream issues that are getting logged before the outage occurs. Obviously this is my assumption and I can't say this for definite.

I have 2 other APs of my own and I can't connect to them either as the hub is the DHCP server so devices just can't get an IP. I have a few devices wired in, but I haven't specifically tested to confirm that they're working when this occurs, but I'm 99% sure they're not. If it happens again I'll test this immediately before rebooting the hub.

In answer to your specific questions:

1. No my speed isn't 0. It was a facetious comment to state that when things go down my connection is 0. The speeds are OK when the outage isn't happening.

2. Yes, I have checked the service status page and there's no known issues. As you can see from the above, it doesn't seem likely this is the cause anyway.

Thanks,

Sam

0 Kudos