Menu
armraz
Joining in
Message 1 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Anyone experiencing intermittent outages in N5?

This is the second time in 3 weeks that we've had extensive outages in Highbury N5. Called the helpline and was told engineers are working hard to fix it. No expected time to fix it. Outage every 5 to 6 minutes. Below is a screen grab of our latency profile. This has been going on for 3 days in a row. It's terrible service. Can't even move to another provider. Only competitor is Bt and they have 13Mb max. Anybody else having issues or is this local to N5?Screenshot 2021-05-03 at 20.15.44.png

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Re: Anyone experiencing intermittent outages in N5?

The only ways to get the info are trying the “check service,” Area status webpage" (link at top right of this forum).

Also try the “free & automated” Service Status number - 0800 561 0061 - which usually gives the most up to date info. and tells you of more local issues down to postcode level. These may not be listed on the Area Status web page (Areas are not “Geographic” they are billing areas) as that usually only covers faults affecting 1000’s of customers) so phone may give you more info, but even that wont cover problems affecting just a few customers.

Or, finally a VM person should pick this thread up and be able to help but it can take a few days.

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
armraz
Joining in
Message 3 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Thank you. Called Customer support and they will send someone to look, with a resolution day of 7th of May... It will be 7 days of total disruption and intermittent connectivity. At its worst today, it's been every 2 to 3 minutes. I was told that there is no recourse for compensation if you have intermittent connectivity. The problem is that my partner and I are both working from home and having to use Mobile data for videoconferencing. It's an abysmal situation.

Even if it gets fixed, this is the second time in three weeks. I would like to know if it's permanently fixed or if it will happen again.

Surely, an intermittent service is not a service at all.

Sorry for the rant, but working from home is impossible.

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
gary_dexter
Alessandro Volta
Message 4 of 8
Flag for a moderator

If internet connectivity is imperative for home working then look at getting a backup DSL line and/or a 4G/5G router for redundancy.

Residential services do not support the use of home working and as such have no SLA's for faults and repairs.

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi
0 Kudos
jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 5 of 8
Flag for a moderator

They will never say it wont happen again - fix time depends on what they are doing to fix it. What did the 0800 number tell you - that is usually the most reliable info?

Are any on your immediate neighbours on VM and experiencing the same problems?

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
armraz
Joining in
Message 6 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Thank you John. They didn't say what the problem was, only that the engineer will be coming over to investigate. None of the local neighbours are having the same issues. But I know it's not internal to my network as you can see from the outside-in monitoring graph I shared above. 

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 7 of 8
Flag for a moderator

So if nothing is showing on the 0800 number, the neighbours are fine and they are sending a Tech to investigate - then its specific to your connection. So why did they say the engineers are working hard on a fix? Unless there was a known issue and that has now been sorted, or they were just fobbing you off!

Has the appointment day/time appeared in your online account yet. If not and they havent set it up with you yet get back on to them asap and insist they get it sorted whist you are on the phone

--------------------
John
--------------------

0 Kudos
armraz
Joining in
Message 8 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Thank you John for your advice. I called back and insisted. They were fobbing me off. No engineer was coming to the area or to my house. The automated message on the call was based on my reporting the issue back on the 12th of April and they hadn't taken the message off or sent anyone. They are now sending an engineer to the house tomorrow. I have raised a complaint. 

0 Kudos