cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Any issues routing a mains next to the broadband cable?

Snakefighter
On our wavelength

I'm looking at a bit of electrical work at home, and it may be convenient to route a bit of mains AC cable immediately adjacent to the data cable that feeds in to the Virgin Media Hub.

Does anyone know if this is likely to cause interference or other issues with my broadband?

5 REPLIES 5

Kain_W
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi Snakefighter,

Thanks for your post and welcome back to the community.

Sorry just to clarify on this, would this mean you'd be required to relocate where the wiring for our service comes into the property?

Regards,

Kain

Hi Kain

No, I'm not talking about moving any VM cabling. I need to install a bit of electrical equipment, and so need an AC 240V cable routed somewhere. It may be desirable to have it close to where the existing VM cable is for a short stretch (probably around 20cm).

Tudor
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Should be no problem. I have mains cables adjacent to both my VM coax cables. The VM hub is under the stairs right in front of the mains feed from the street and electricity meter.

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2

Thanks for your reply, @Tudor.

nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Motors & electrical control gear next to the coax might cause issues with the RF signals, but just plain wiring should be fine.

VM 350BB 2xV6 & Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, ASDA/Tesco PAYG Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks