Menu
Highlighted
tallen65
Joining in
Message 1 of 25
Flag for a moderator

Android devices have connection issues

I have a Samsung Galaxy S9+ phone and a Fusion5 Android tablet which are both experiencing issues since I switched to Virgin Media.

I can browse internet on both, no problem, but the issues are as below:

On my phone I can't sync apps that I used to be able to sync, even though it has full wifi signal and I can access internet with it - I get an error message saying "sync failed, make sure you have a working internet connection!"

On my tablet, I have internet access and full wifi signal but constantly get popups saying "wifi connected, no signal" or "no internet access".

I've gone through the process of deleting the wifi settings on both and resetting them up - still have same problem.  I've then even completely reset both devices to factory settings and started again from scratch with everything, but still have the same weird problem.

Can anybody tell me if I need to change something in the Hub 3 settings to allow full access for android devices?  Or does Virgin Media broadband just not work well with android devices?  Any advice would be greatly appreciated as I've already spent weeks trying to resolve these issues and both devices had no problems whatever before I was with Virgin broadband.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
MikeRobbo
Knows their stuff
Message 2 of 25
Flag for a moderator

Re: Android devices have connection issues

May be time to refine the Hub WiFi settings, these are for the Hub 3 ...

Advanced Settings > Wireless Signal > click ‘Disable Channel Optimization’ > Click ‘Apply Changes’.

Advanced Settings > Wireless > Security > Add 2 to the 2.4GHz Channel name > Add 5 to the 5 GHz Channel name > Click ‘Apply Changes’

You can leave the passwords the same as they are. 

Log out of the Hub.

You will need to reconnect all you WiFi devices some will want to connect to 5Ghz and some to 2.4GHz and some will connect to either.

2.4GHz is a stronger signal but slower than 5GHz so if you have problems on 5GHz change to 2.4GHz.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
tallen65
Joining in
Message 3 of 25
Flag for a moderator

Hi Mike,

Thanks for the reply.  I've done all you advised but it hasn't made any difference.  Still have exactly the same problems with both android devices.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
MikeRobbo
Knows their stuff
Message 4 of 25
Flag for a moderator

Which apps are you trying to synch ?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
tallen65
Joining in
Message 5 of 25
Flag for a moderator

The app I can't sync from my phone which comes up with the error message I mentioned is HabitBull - not sure if it's a bug in the app but they won't respond to my queries on the issue even though I paid for the full app so I could use the sync feature!   A couple of games on the phone won't connect to update progress from other devices as they say I'm not connected to the internet, even though I evidently am and can browse online no problem.

On my tablet it's just a general wifi error that is reminding me every couple of minutes that my wifi has no internet access, even when I'm connected!  It's quite frustrating that I can't figure out how to fix it.  I was with TalkTalk broadband until October and didn't have any issues then, which is why I wondered whether it was some weird kind of compatibility issue between android devices and Virgin Media.

I have no other problems with my windows PC or Laptop, whether they are connected via wifi or ethernet, it's just the android devices that seem to have a problem.  Both are up-to-date with the OS software, although my tablet is only on Android 6.0.1 and won't update to any newer versions.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
MikeRobbo
Knows their stuff
Message 6 of 25
Flag for a moderator

Disconnect your phone and tablet, reboot them then reconnect thme and try again.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
tallen65
Joining in
Message 7 of 25
Flag for a moderator

Hi, just tried but no difference I'm afraid with either of them. Maybe it's time to upgrade to a new tablet lol. Thanks anyway for trying to help!
0 Kudos
Highlighted
jt8361
Joining in
Message 8 of 25
Flag for a moderator

I have been having similar issues on my home wifi using android for the past week.

Both me and my wife can't login to multiple apps, including Deliveroo, Plyer FM (podcasts), HotUKDeals

Browser and google work fine

I'm not at home at the moment, so can't try the advice above, but if it is the same issue as the original poster then the problem may be elsewhere

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Adduxi
Super solver
Message 9 of 25
Flag for a moderator

@tallen65 wrote:
Hi, just tried but no difference I'm afraid with either of them. Maybe it's time to upgrade to a new tablet lol. Thanks anyway for trying to help!

Maybe it's time to go to Modem mode and get a better router .....  😉

Have you tried updating the phone via an external HotSpot ?  This may prove the VM WiFi is the issue ?  Just a thought 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
jt8361
Joining in
Message 10 of 25
Flag for a moderator

Unfortunately the advice above didn't work for me either.

Is there anything that could just make several apps stop syncing?

Edit. I checked the deliveroo account on an iPhone and there was no problem there

0 Kudos