Menu
clfarmer
Tuning in
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Ancient SuperHub modem mode dead

Lost WiFi weeks ago after > 2 years stable connections using Asus RT-AC3200 with Super Hub in modem mode. Found that I could get (rubbish) WiFi again by reverting SuperHub to router mode. Tried several factory resets of Virgin and Asus kit to no avail. Asus router does not get signal from modem mode SuperHub. On my home PC, I can connect to the SupeHub via ethernet cable when in router mode, not cannot reconnect once its in modem mode. Believe I need a replacement SupeHub from VM. The terrible WiFi of the ancient SuperHub is driving us nuts, and my wife hit her mobile phone data allowance for the first time ever. I've been with VM since ntlworld days. Frustrating that, just because we are hardworking parent with young kids and no time to play the silly game of customer retention chicken with VM, we pay full whack every month since 2012, still have same kit from 2012 i.e. TiVO SMT-C7100, Super Hub '0'. .

0 Kudos
andrewkp
Dialled in
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Ancient SuperHub modem mode dead

I had an issue connecting my super hub 3 to my Asus WiFi router unless I rebooted them at the same time.  I've seen other bits about reboot timings also normally hub first then router 10 seconds or so later. 

It's just a thought

If the hub is the problem it shouldn't be difficult to get a new one from Virgin if you phone. 

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Alessandro Volta
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

you could try the "free" Hub3 replacement scheme - see the link below.
If you get the - "Ooops - please call" message – then when you call, go through options 1,1,4,5 - to get through to retentions - you will get a UK based person who should at least know about the deal - no-one seems to have informed the "offshore" lot about it yet ! It may be that you aren’t eligible and they will want to charge you - do not accept that - come back here.
https://www.virginmedia.com/shop/hub-swap.html?buspart=uk_app_connect2_hubswap

--------------------
John
--------------------

My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Hello clfarmer,

Thank you for your post. 

Were you able to upgrade your Hub through the link jbrennand provided? 

Please let me know if you need any further assistance with this as I will be able to order a new Hub? 

Regards,

Dean C

clfarmer
Tuning in
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for advice on free upgrade to SuperHub 3.0. It was not possible to request this online, and I did have to phone on Thurs morning, as suggested following the prompts to 'thinking about leaving'. Despite explaining that ancient hub no longer worked in modem mode and that I was seeking the free upgrade, after long dicussion/wait, VM representative did confirm I was eligible, but did as warned try to charge to me. I challenged this, as it old modem failed and upgrade was supposed to be free. Was asked if I had previously received an email offering free upgrade - I had ages ago, and had tried to get one, but there had been no response. VM then went back through the old hub failure symptoms again, and eventually agreed to send for free to arrive Mon, but actually arrived already on Sat already. After a 20min call to VM to activate, it was working yesterday in router mode. After 15mins effort this morning to put new SuperHub 3.0 into modem mode and connect back to my Asus RT-AC3200, we are all good. Old hub modem mode had definitely died, although router mode was working!! Thanks for support on forum 🙂

0 Kudos