Menu
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Ancient SuperHub modem mode dead

Lost WiFi weeks ago after > 2 years stable connections using Asus RT-AC3200 with Super Hub in modem mode. Found that I could get (rubbish) WiFi again by reverting SuperHub to router mode. Tried several factory resets of Virgin and Asus kit to no avail. Asus router does not get signal from modem mode SuperHub. On my home PC, I can connect to the SupeHub via ethernet cable when in router mode, not cannot reconnect once its in modem mode. Believe I need a replacement SupeHub from VM. The terrible WiFi of the ancient SuperHub is driving us nuts, and my wife hit her mobile phone data allowance for the first time ever. I've been with VM since ntlworld days. Frustrating that, just because we are hardworking parent with young kids and no time to play the silly game of customer retention chicken with VM, we pay full whack every month since 2012, still have same kit from 2012 i.e. TiVO SMT-C7100, Super Hub '0'. .

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Dialled in
Message 2 of 12
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Ancient SuperHub modem mode dead

I had an issue connecting my super hub 3 to my Asus WiFi router unless I rebooted them at the same time.  I've seen other bits about reboot timings also normally hub first then router 10 seconds or so later. 

It's just a thought

If the hub is the problem it shouldn't be difficult to get a new one from Virgin if you phone. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 3 of 12
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

you could try the "free" Hub3 replacement scheme - see the link below.
If you get the - "Ooops - please call" message – then when you call, go through options 1,1,4,5 - to get through to retentions - you will get a UK based person who should at least know about the deal - no-one seems to have informed the "offshore" lot about it yet ! It may be that you aren’t eligible and they will want to charge you - do not accept that - come back here.
https://www.virginmedia.com/shop/hub-swap.html?buspart=uk_app_connect2_hubswap

--------------------
John
--------------------

My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
Highlighted
Message 4 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Hello clfarmer,

Thank you for your post. 

Were you able to upgrade your Hub through the link jbrennand provided? 

Please let me know if you need any further assistance with this as I will be able to order a new Hub? 

Regards,

Dean C

Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 5 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for advice on free upgrade to SuperHub 3.0. It was not possible to request this online, and I did have to phone on Thurs morning, as suggested following the prompts to 'thinking about leaving'. Despite explaining that ancient hub no longer worked in modem mode and that I was seeking the free upgrade, after long dicussion/wait, VM representative did confirm I was eligible, but did as warned try to charge to me. I challenged this, as it old modem failed and upgrade was supposed to be free. Was asked if I had previously received an email offering free upgrade - I had ages ago, and had tried to get one, but there had been no response. VM then went back through the old hub failure symptoms again, and eventually agreed to send for free to arrive Mon, but actually arrived already on Sat already. After a 20min call to VM to activate, it was working yesterday in router mode. After 15mins effort this morning to put new SuperHub 3.0 into modem mode and connect back to my Asus RT-AC3200, we are all good. Old hub modem mode had definitely died, although router mode was working!! Thanks for support on forum 🙂

0 Kudos
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 6 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Here we are again. Less than a year after receiving SuperHub 3.0, it seems to have suffered the same fate as Superhub 2012 model. . Caused months of problems last time. Aaaahhh. The only fix last time was a new Superhub from Virgin, but not before endless jumping through hoops. As of yesterday SuperHub 3.0 modem mode will no longer facilitate any internet through my Asus RT-AC3200, after 9 months of working well. As before, tried numerous resets, to no avail. With the SuperHub 3.0 in modem mode, both wire Ethernet connection and wireless WiFi connections to Asus RT-AC3200 remain connected, but no internet. As with the faulty Superhub 2012, all of a sudden it will only allow internet connection when in Router mode. Not sure if the SuperHub 3.0 is any better in terms of latency issues (previous Superhub suffered from horrific latency build-up, as monitored via thinkbroadband ping), but is it is woefully in incapable of distributing WiFi, hence forced to employ Asus RT-AC3200 to do the job. Why are these VM routers so unreliable??!! 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 7 of 12
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Just to clarify if you take the Asus out of the equation and connect a computer/laptop directly to the Hub while in modem mode - is that not working ? If it is then its a fault in the Asus connection and the Hub is ok.

--------------------
John
--------------------

My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 8 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Good shout John, thanks for your advice! Between other commitments, been retrying your suggestion on/off throughout the day and writing this as I went. Seemed good, but then went into reverse, alas.

Connection to SuperHub IP address seems generally intermittently flaky, but especially in Modem mode, as of yesterday.

This morning I connected to the SuperHub via wired PC and switched into it from Router to Modem mode - all seemed to work with Internet connection (perhaps only after running  PC network troubleshooter, but can't recall). It worked for a bit.

Decided to double check by switching it back to Router mode then back to Modem mode, but then lost all communication with router (on 192.168.0.1 or 192.168.100.1), despite several power cycles (60s).

After another power cycle of SuperHub, it was connected to briefly again to the internet, but I found that I could no longer reach SuperHub on either 192.168.100.1 nor 192.168.0.1, despite lots of efforts. In the middle of updating this post (without doing anything else) the internet connection disappeared again! Unable to recover anything despite another couple of power cycles. SuperHub seemed to be stuck in modem mode without access. Only way was get back in was to factory reset it. This is pretty much what happened 9 months ago with the previous 2012 hub. All of a sudden, it stopped working in Modem mode - not internet or ability to communicate with it via Ethernet, but generally functioned in Router mode (albeit with inadequate WiFi coverage). Back then I did not have a long wired connection to my PC, and had to keep taking the hub up to my PC to connect it via a short Ethernet cable. 

Tried again from scratch this evening. Factory reset the SuperHub again (haven't since yesterday) by pressing >20s on reset button. Both wireless and wired internet reappeared (in default Router mode). We then successfully logged into Router on 192.168.0.1 by wired PC. Changed settings to Modem mode. Lost internet and can no longer connect to router on 192.168.100.1 or 192.168.0.1. Cannot  be reached. Tried Windows Network Diagnostics but " "Ethernet" doesn't have a valid IP configuration".

Factory reset the hub again (it's back in default Router mode), and then was able to get back internet connection (after running Window Network Troubleshooter to reset the PC Ethernet adaptor).

So seems that the SuperHub 3.0 Modem mode has developed a fault. Right?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 9 of 12
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

@clfarmer wrote:

So seems that the SuperHub 3.0 Modem mode has developed a fault. Right?

No unless the firmware is that bad which many people would be complaining.

each time you change to modem mode with a PC the CMTS may not let you connect per new MAC so you have to power off the hub for 2mins when the hub is ready you many have to unplug replug the Ethernet cable to get it to DHCP.

---------------------------------------------------------------
0 Kudos
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 10 of 12
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Thanks for reply & advice Alessandro. Based on that I took another shot and back to working.

Started Router mode in which

• wireless devices-SuperHub were connected with internet
  • wired PC-SuperHub was connected to network with internet
  • PC Chrome browser could access to SuperHub settings via 192.168.0.1

Switched to Modem mode successfully:

• using PC, applied SuperHub change to Modem mode
  • SuperHub reboots automatically after message stating process takes 5mins and settings access 192.168.100.1 after SuperHub reboot complete
  • waited 5mins (as Chrome browser continues, but fails, to access 192.168.0.1)
  • turned off SuperHub and waited 2-3mins
  • turned on SuperHub and waited 2-3mins for boot to complete (solid magenta status light)
  • on wired PC no internet connect yet, but right clicked network status, selected Troubleshoot Problems, internet access restored (wired to SuperHub)
  • wired PC Chrome browser also able to access to SuperHub settings via 192.168.100.1

Switched over Asus router successfully:

• turned off SuperHub (modem) and Asus (router), unplugged Ethernet cable (from PC, no others Ethernet connections) and waited 2-3mins
  • turned on SuperHub and waited 2-3mins for boot to complete (solid magenta status light)
  • connected PC Ethernet cable mow to Asus router, and short Ethernet cord between Asus router and SuperHub modem
  • turned on Asus router waited 2-3mins for boot to complete
  • wireless devices connected with internet to Asus (hurrah!!)
  • on wired PC no internet connect yet, disconnected Ethernet and reconnected, and internet access restored (wired)
  • on wired PC Chrome browser also able to access to SuperHub settings via 192.168.100.1

I've never really had to jump through these hoops before to get it to work, but I hope this is a process that will always work. Only time will tell. 

Thanks Alessandro and John. Home schooling shoudl resume tomorrow without excuses!

Best,

Corrie

0 Kudos