Menu
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 1 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Amber Light Intermittent Wifi

Within 2 weeks of a new virgin broadband installation I am getting an intermittent loss of wifi. The wifi signal is generally good around the house and I have run though the basic fault finding instructions: reboot and factory reset the Hub 3. The intermittent problem still persists.

Tech support said that the hub can only support 5 or 6 devices. This was never an issue with my old BT wifi router and i have not added any new equipment. 

Any suggestions appreciated. I am currenlty running a broadband quality monitor.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Re: Amber Light Intermittent Wifi

bobisafish_0-1605640248682.png

Results from broadband quality monitor - https://www.thinkbroadband.com/broadband/monitoring/quality

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Superfast
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator

@bobisafish wrote:

bobisafish_0-1605640248682.png

Results from broadband quality monitor - https://www.thinkbroadband.com/broadband/monitoring/quality

Your link is to the main site, rather than your specific BQM.

The HUB does support more than 5 to 6 devices, so that's bad info!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator

As soon as my kids returned from school the WIFI intermittency problem started. 14 devices on wifi, probably 6 of them using a reasonable amount of bandwidth for streaming services, but this is no different to the BT router which had a 50Mbps connection and no problems with wifi

I restarted the monitor as the graph was showing 100% dropped packets after the hub was checked remotely.

Link to quality monitor: https://www.thinkbroadband.com/broadband/monitoring/quality/share/1657fc1a47097289a4b36e72202aaabcdd...

bobisafish_0-1605683200460.png

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Poor 2.4GHz service. 

5GHz looks to be preforming well but the slower speed/longer range 2.4GHz service is struggling. iI have 2 laptops sitting next to each other and 2 phones. the 2.4Ghz signal is much lower.

bobisafish_0-1605693144797.png

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator

It’s not your fault. It’s got nothing to do with the number of devices. It is a central problem to do with the jumping between different local servers to achieve the optimal connection. It fails and just ends up dropping connections several times an hour in my case.

Highlighted
Joining in
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator

I have a netgear router also installed, its setup as an Access Point. If I switch wifi services over to this router then I do not get any wifi issues. I think my problem is more related to the Hub 3.

0 Kudos