Menu
Joining in
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Amazon Ring product compatibility

I have purchased Amazon Ring alarm system. Trying to connect the base station via the router trips out the router. Ring's Customer Support tell me to contact VirginMedia because Virgin's firewall settings may be causing this?

Of course, one cannot contact Virgin Media customer support in reality. Spent an hour trying. Does anyone know if it is true that Virgin Media Hub 4 blocks Amazon Ring products? Or how to solve this?Has anyone tried setting an Amazon Ring Alarm Base Station with VirginMedia?

I tried putting the router to modem and using Apple Extreme Base Station, but that took down all internet access too. 

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
Alessandro Volta
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Re: Amazon Ring product compatibility

Apple are not easy to use so get a router with 1Gb ports by Zyxel or Asus then use the hub in modem mode.

---------------------------------------------------------------
0 Kudos
Alessandro Volta
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

@Academe wrote:

I have purchased Amazon Ring alarm system. Trying to connect the base station via the router trips out the router. Ring's Customer Support tell me to contact VirginMedia because Virgin's firewall settings may be causing this?

Of course, one cannot contact Virgin Media customer support in reality. Spent an hour trying. Does anyone know if it is true that Virgin Media Hub 4 blocks Amazon Ring products? Or how to solve this?Has anyone tried setting an Amazon Ring Alarm Base Station with VirginMedia?

I tried putting the router to modem and using Apple Extreme Base Station, but that took down all internet access too. 

They should work with no issues.

Have you split the 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz bands?

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi
Alessandro Volta
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator

I would look at getting a cheap and cheerful 2.4GHz Wireless Access Point for the sole use of the Ring Alarm system and set the whole thing up before even thinking about connecting to the Hub.

***********************************************************************************************************************************

Mike Robinson
Semi-Retired Aircraft Engineer & Computer Based Training and Learning Designer for many of the world's Military Arms.

My Broadband Ping - Mike Robbo
0 Kudos
Joining in
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Gary - thank you, I really appreciate your response. 

I should have pointed out that the Ring Alarm base station trips out the VirginMedia Hub when connecting by wifi, but it will not connect by ethernet cable either. Ethernet is the sensible way to link the Hub and Base Station as this is the base for the whole system. 

It seems peculiar that an ethernet connection would not work. 

0 Kudos
Alessandro Volta
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Best done with a cable connected device.

Instructions for Hub 3

Advanced Settings > Wireless Signal > click ‘Disable Channel Optimization’ > Click ‘Apply Changes’.

Advanced Settings > Wireless > Security > Add 2 to the 2.4GHz Channel name [SSID] > Add 5 to the 5 GHz Channel name [SSID] > Click ‘Apply Changes’

You can leave the passwords the same as they are. 

Log out of the Hub then reboot using this method ...

Switch the Hub off using the small switch on the rear of the Hub next to the power cord and pull the PSU plug from the wall socket.

Give it a good 5 minutes put the plug back in and switch the Hub back on.

Allow the Hub a few minutes to fully restart then try your Wi-Fi again.

You will need to reconnect all you Wi-Fi devices some will want to connect to 5Ghz and some to 2.4GHz and some will connect to either.

When you connect the devices do it at the furthest point from the Hub that the device will be used.

2.4GHz is a stronger signal but slower than 5GHz so if you have problems on 5GHz change to 2.4GHz.

………………………………………………………………………..

***********************************************************************************************************************************

Mike Robinson
Semi-Retired Aircraft Engineer & Computer Based Training and Learning Designer for many of the world's Military Arms.

My Broadband Ping - Mike Robbo
0 Kudos