Menu
pthatfunkymusic
Tuning in
Message 1 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Amazon Echo cutting out

We regularly have problems with our Amazon Echo device whereby the streaming music or radio stops mid-song.  Alexa continues to respond to requests, but there is no further music played until we reboot the Echo.  I suspect the TCP/UDP data is being lost or blocked somewhere in the network, and wondered if others are experiencing this and whether it is a Virgin Media problem?   We have to reboot Alexa 2 - 3 times a day at present.  Any help much appreciated.

0 Kudos
gary_dexter
Alessandro Volta
Message 2 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Re: Amazon Echo cutting out

@pthatfunkymusic wrote:

We regularly have problems with our Amazon Echo device whereby the streaming music or radio stops mid-song.  Alexa continues to respond to requests, but there is no further music played until we reboot the Echo.  I suspect the TCP/UDP data is being lost or blocked somewhere in the network, and wondered if others are experiencing this and whether it is a Virgin Media problem?   We have to reboot Alexa 2 - 3 times a day at present.  Any help much appreciated.

What hub do you have?

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi
0 Kudos
pthatfunkymusic
Tuning in
Message 3 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Hub 3.0 / VMDG505

0 Kudos
gary_dexter
Alessandro Volta
Message 4 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Could be an issue with the wireless signal.

Have you split the WiFi bands and chosen less congested channels for them?

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
0 Kudos
pthatfunkymusic
Tuning in
Message 5 of 11
Flag for a moderator

There's no problem with the signal as the Echo / Alexa is happy to respond to everything we ask (to do this requires sending the data to AWS).  Alexa responds, but there's no music streamed.  FWIW - the channels are split and the Echo is only a few metres from the hub in direct line of sight, and we aren't in a congested WiFi area.

0 Kudos
gary_dexter
Alessandro Volta
Message 6 of 11
Flag for a moderator

I had that a few times with my Echo's and I just reset them and they worked fine thereafter.

0 Kudos
pthatfunkymusic
Tuning in
Message 7 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Unfortunately this has been going on for months, so it's something a little more complicated than just a reset.  Perhaps the Echo itself is the problem.

0 Kudos
gary_dexter
Alessandro Volta
Message 8 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Have you already factory reset the Echo’s and rejoined them again?

Does it happen to singular devices or when playing Multi-Room Music?

0 Kudos
alastairmackie
Joining in
Message 9 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Was there any resolution to this? I am having exactly the same issue. I can be listening to BBC Sounds live radio, or Times Radio, and Alexa just stops playing. She can respond to commands, and even play music via Spotify, but trying to stream radio again just won’t work until you turn her off and on again.

I’ve tried disabling my 2ghz network, and disabled channel optimisation, but nothing works. 

0 Kudos
pthatfunkymusic
Tuning in
Message 10 of 11
Flag for a moderator

We have recently replaced our 1st Gen Echo with a pair of 4th Generation Echos (for stereo), and so far (after a few weeks) they have not stopped / required reboot, so make of that what you will.  HTH.

0 Kudos