cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Always On VPN issue

Gregsy
On our wavelength

I work from home and have successfully been using my work laptop to access my work folders using 'Always On VPN' for a long time. On Friday this changed and I can't access it via Wi-fi. I can if I put an ethernet cable in the router but this isn't practical to sustain. I've talked to Virgin Media and my employers ICT people several times about this issue and have got nowhere. My work says it's my ISP and the IP address. Virgin say it's my works' VPN. I can't get anywhere. Does anyone know how I can make a complaint to Virgin without having to hang on the phone? Also, any ideas to solve this?

10 REPLIES 10

lotharmat
Community elder
I think it'd be worth establishing if it is VMs fault before a complaint..

The fact that your WAN IP address will be identical regardless if WiFi or Ethernet (assuming the hub is in router mode) would, I'd have thought, ruled it out being a VM problem and more likely a wireless configuration problem on the device in question!

------------------------------------------------------------------
Hub 3 - Modem Mode - TP-Link Archer C7

Gregsy
On our wavelength

But then why has it worked perfectly one for a year or more and just stopped 

Because technology can fail? - The fact that you can connect on ethernet to this would, for me, point to it being a device specific problem!

Can you test with another device on WiFi?

What about your laptop connecting at a friend's house (Or a mobile hotspot)

If it connects to the VPN with WiFi through a hotspot - then I'd be inclined to think it may not be a device-specific problem!

------------------------------------------------------------------
Hub 3 - Modem Mode - TP-Link Archer C7

I have experienced exactly the same problem. Always on VPN worked fine for 12 months until  August this year. Used alternative laptop and had the same problem. I can connect remotely using other Internet providers and mobile phone data and it works fine. Not unexpectedly being plugged in via cable to the router makes no difference.

Tried contacting virgin media on a number of occasions with no success, wasted hours with the bot and even when I did get through they where unable to answer.

Any advice would be appreciated otherwise I will have to change Internet provider.

Hi ChrisC4,

Thanks for posting and sorry to see you're having some issues with your connection.

Can you confirm if you're able to connect to the WiFi without using the VPN?

Alex_Rm

@ChrisC4 I have to say that the most likely reason for this is that your public IP address is being blocked by your company for some reason. Hypothetically in August your IP address could have changed (it’s an infrequent occurrence) and possibly your new address isn’t being allowed to connect by your company.

It is certainly the first thing you need to investigate, in addition when you try to connect, then at the remote end there will be logs of the connection attempt and reason for why it failed - these need to be checked by your company’s IT people.

John

Hi Alex_Rm

Yes no other problems with connecting to WiFi everything else works fine. I can connect to Internet using work laptop just not shared drives through AOV

Hi @ChrisC4, can you please confirm if you've been able to discuss this matter with your IT department/colleagues?

Kindest regards,

David_Bn

Hi @David_Bn yes discussed this again with employer IT and was advised it was an issue with Virgin router. The suggestion was to purchase an alternative router and to put the virgin one into modem mode. Apparently this has worked for a number of employees within the organisation. I tried over the weekend and it now works fine. Ridiculous that I have had to purchase an extra router but on the plus side it means that I can work from home when necessary.