Menu
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Alternative to the £3/month booster?

We have a couple of blackspots in our new house and as we aren't on the top TV package we'd have to pay £3 a month to hire a signal booster direct from Virgin.

Is there a third party alternative anyone can recommend that I can just buy outright off Amazon that will do the same job but I can keep forever? (I'd like a wireless solution so I don't have to run cables over half the house).

I've tried to look at them all myself to determine which is the right one etc. but it's left me more confused than I was before!

We have 100mbps fibre broadband (but get around 55-60 realistically) and just need one booster to get to the opposite corner of the house.

If there's a simple "this one [brand & model] will work" then I'd really appreciate the help!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Re: Alternative to the £3/month booster?

Your best option is to just get a wireless access point and mount it near the blackspots. They do need to be wired into the Hub by Cat5e/6 ethernet cable though. It isnt really difficult to conceal the cable under carpet etc - or run it outside.

The "Ubiquiti" range is well regarded on here

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=ubiquiti+access+point&crid=3S51F36TVE8N0&sprefix=ubiquiti%2Caps%2C205&r...

If that is a problem then there are wire free solutions such as a Mesh system - these tend to be more expensive as you might need 2 or 3 units to piggy back the signal to all dead spots.

https://www.techradar.com/uk/news/best-wireless-mesh-routers

If your house electrical circuitry permits it you could try a pair of powerline adapters with added wifi

https://www.techradar.com/uk/news/the-best-powerline-adaptors

--------------------
John
--------------------

My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Just joined
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Virgin Engineer here, just get yourself a tp-link, devolo, netgear booster, make sure its dual band, for a wifi booster i would not spend any less than £30-40 (get what you pay for). But yeah unless we give you a free booster, just buy your own, paying monthly for a booster is just pretty stupid if i'm being honest. You can purchase from amazon, pcworld/currys ect 🙂

aos tv

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator

I bought a Netgear R7800 and put the Virgin hub into modem mode. Now get WiFi everywhere at 165Mb aostv, even down the garden.

Tried power line adaptors and WiFi boosters in the past and nothing worked.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

You get what you pay for.

My mate just told me he got the M5 4-pack yesterday and in his words - "it's absolutely brilliant". He is on the 100 package and wifi speed tests in all rooms including attic conversion and shed, get 100-108Mbps down and 10 up.

A 3-pack would probably have worked just as well and is £150.

--------------------
John
--------------------

My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos