cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Alternative router to SH4

SAkers1975
On our wavelength

Hi All,

I currently have the 1Gig service and the Super Hub 4, although has improved Wi-Fi than the previous SH3, it's still a bit patchy.

Are there any alternative routers out there which some of you use which you would recommend?

Looking for something with more than 4 Gigabit ports and excellent Wi-Fi coverage.

Budget of around £400-£500 for the router.

Thanks in advance

Stephen

14 REPLIES 14

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

+1 for above, especially PoE AP's.  They are very unobtrusive and just look like ceiling mounted smoke alarms.  I doubt if any visitors would even give them a second glance.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

3 bedroom house, Concrete and brick construction, around 20 devices ranging from laptops, tablets, mobile phones, Ring System (Alarm, Doorbell, Chime, Indoor Securtiy cam), Hue Bridge, Hive Hub, 3 Smart TV's, Fire Stick, Echo Dot, PS5. Would be looking for Wifi 6 (AX).

SuperCC
On our wavelength
Bear in mind that when using the SH4 as a modem and ethernet connecting it to an alternative router you will be using one gigabit port on the modem so even if you do have multiple gigabit ports on the router they will be sharing this bandwidth. I opted to ethernet connect a Ubiqiti nano HD wifi dish upstairs to improve wifi and use a switch to provide more ethernet ports (sharing bandwidth) - all for far less than your budget 🙂

legacy1
Alessandro Volta

>>Bear in mind that when using the SH4 as a modem and ethernet connecting it to an alternative router you will be using one gigabit port on the modem

This isn't strictly true anymore - the SH4 supports link aggregation in modem mode which lets you use multiple LAN ports at once but you need a fairly high-end router to take advantage of this feature. See this link for more info, if you're interested:

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Networking-and-WiFi/Wan-link-aggregation-hub4/m-p/4732706#M4096...

With regard to the original question about extending wi-fi coverage I recently bought an Amazon Eero pro system, which I run in bridge mode. Coverage is excellent and speeds are consistently around the 550Mb mark.