cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Alleged Intermittent error

Ban5hee
Joining in

Some advice please. Lost broadband connection this morning. Totally down. Contacted support who say that there’s an intermittent signal problem and they’ll monitor for 24 hours. However from my end it’s completely down. Can an intermittent signal issue manifest itself as a total service loss? Neighbour is OK. Do I have to wait until tomorrow before anything else can happen?

6 REPLIES 6

Client62
Legend

Lost broadband - Which VM Hub do you have an what lights are showing on it ?

One would expect a intermittent service fault would affect more that one customer.

Check 0800 561 0061 it is an automated service for local faults.

Ban5hee
Joining in

Thanks for the reply. It’s a hub 3. I did check on the automated service - no faults. The light is a constant red. It’s in modem mode connected to a tp-link router. This configuration has been the same for over a year. However, in following the VM help page this morning I had reset it back to factory defaults and I still couldn’t connect to the internet. It’s now been reverted back to modem mode. Any idea?

Client62
Legend

Hub Signal Level Checks

Via http://192.168.0.1/ connect to the Hub in Router mode, do not login in, scroll down to "Check router status"     Use http://192.168.100.1/ for a Hub in Modem mode

Using the Hub's "Check router status" tabs check the Downstream and Upstream power levels are in spec.

( If already logged in to the Hub menu, the same info is available at : Advanced settings >>> Tools >>> Network status )

Downstream Power Levels of -7 to +7 dBmV are preferred, +10dBmV is the max acceptable, with a SNR of 33dB or higher across all DOCSIS 3.0 channels. Rising error counts across many channels is a current service noise fault.

Upstream
Power Levels of 35 to 49 dBmV are preferred, with QAM 64 Modulation mode across all four to six DOCSIS 3.0 channels.  Seeing QAM 32/16/QPSK is a current service noise fault.  

Downstream: Power levels between 2.5 and 4.5. SNR (db) 38-40.

Upstream: Power levels between 42 and 44.5. QAM column reads 64 qam apart from channel 2 which is 16 qam.

I hope this means something

Subsequently found an issue. A duff tp-link powerline adapter. Every time I connected it - the internet connection dropped. Now I can’t quite say that’s THE problem but I’ll monitor. 

Ban5hee
Joining in

Just to wrap this one up in case anyone has similar. TP-Link adapter was showing OK (indicator lights). Shortly after reconnecting it to the router, it dropped the internet connection and messed up the internal network (i.e. couldn’t reach 192.168.100.1). I’m going to assume it was broadcasting something rogue. Plugged it out. Replaced. All OK. Went to re-test adapter elsewhere but it’s now dead. Thanks for all help.