Menu
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 1 of 16
Flag for a moderator

All ports detected as closed (despite port forwarding)

I am trying to port forward port 32400 to make my plex server viewable from an external network but something seems to be blocking all the ports on my network. I've literally tried port forwarding all ports (both on router and PC), setting DMZ to my PCs IP, disabling firewall (both on router and PC), port triggering port 32400, set network to private in Windows, yet when I check port scanning websites, all ports scanned are detected as closed (including the one I need: 32400). Is Virgin Media purposefully blocking ports or something? I have no AVs or any 3rd party devices/apps that could be blocking the ports so I am completely out of ideas at this point. I'm running the latest version of Windows 10 pro 64bit on a desktop with wired connection to the official Virgin Media Hub 3 if this helps anyone with helping me 🤣

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Superfast
Message 2 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Re: All ports detected as closed (despite port forwarding)

ports will be detected as closed if the end point doesn't respond - even if the port is open on the hub.
does the end point (ie your plex server) has a static/reserved LAN IP address?
is the network on the windows 10 system set to public or private?

however, you should note that you don't need to open a port for plex to be available externally (although it is often recommended to do so). it should be able to do it via uPnP.

read https://support.plex.tv/articles/200931138-troubleshooting-remote-access/?utm_campaign=Plex%20Apps&u...

-----------------------------------------------------------

My Broadband Ping - spgray

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 3 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Local IP is static (192.168.0.2) reserved both on device and in router with device's network being set to private. Yet plex still shows in app as having no remote access (tried disabling and enabling it multiple times now) and when using multiple different port scanners the default port 32400 shows as being closed (I made sure to manually designate this port in plex to ensure it works, and tried without doing so with same results).

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 4 of 16
Flag for a moderator

The hubs port forwarding can be buggy so get your own router with 1Gb ports and use the hub in modem mode.

---------------------------------------------------------------
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 5 of 16
Flag for a moderator

So what you are saying is I've basically agreed to pay for a faulty service which is not fit for purpose? If I am required to purchase more hardware which in turn makes the hardware provided by VM redundant then something is seriously wrong here.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 6 of 16
Flag for a moderator

@jakey1995abc wrote:
So what you are saying is I've basically agreed to pay for a faulty service which is not fit for purpose? If I am required to purchase more hardware which in turn makes the hardware provided by VM redundant then something is seriously wrong here.

It’s a £30 hub rolled off a converter belt. What do you expect?

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Superfast
Message 7 of 16
Flag for a moderator

@jakey1995abc wrote:

When I used the HUB 3 in router mode my Plex worked fine once I opened the port.

This is what I had setup (Second rule):

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 8 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Any idea if an EE smarthub will work as a router (with VM hub 3 in modem mode)? I have a spare one laying around from the last internet provider I was with (I also preferred this hub over VM's as it had more features and actually worked as intended).
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Superfast
Message 9 of 16
Flag for a moderator

@jakey1995abc wrote:
Any idea if an EE smarthub will work as a router (with VM hub 3 in modem mode)? I have a spare one laying around from the last internet provider I was with (I also preferred this hub over VM's as it had more features and actually worked as intended).

One of its ethernet ports is labelled as 'WAN' so maybe it can be used as a router?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 10 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Something is wrong with my VM hub 3. Haven't been able to log in to it for over a day now due to:
"Please note!
Someone else is currently logged into the settings page. Only one session at a time is allowed. Please try again later."
I am the only one with access / the password for it, I've rebooted it multiple times and still can't log in, and just now when trying to log in it says the password is incorrect...
Guessing this is a "feature" of the infamous VM hub 3?
0 Kudos