Menu
whyfy
Just joined
Message 1 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Airplane interference? Planes cause my connection to fail.

Hi,

My fibre-optic broadband connection is usually fine. However, I live under an alternating flight-path (it is 2-weeks on, 2 weeks-off) and during this time, when planes fly overhead, but not every time, my Superhub loses its connection.

This has been going on for years and only just gotten around to asking about it on here!

Many thanks in advance for your help, it is quite annoying!

James

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Alessandro Volta
Message 2 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Re: Airplane interference? Planes cause my connection to fail.

Do you have a theory as to why airplanes flying overhead, cause your BB connection to drop?

--------------------
John
--------------------

My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
whyfy
Just joined
Message 3 of 11
Flag for a moderator

I don't know enough about this sort of thing to have any theories myself, all I see is the pattern. It basically never happens without the planes flying overhead, and it doesn't happen every time a plane flies overhead, but it is visibly more frequent when planes are flying overhead.

Two suggestions I've seen posited.

(1) Channel interference (wifi channels from planes clashing with the channel I am on - I change my channel but it still happens).

(2) Something about a large metallic mass causing disruption.

Hoping for some expert here. But then again, I'd also expect it to be a more common occurrence if it was planes. It is quite baffling.

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Alessandro Volta
Message 4 of 11
Flag for a moderator

This is one for "Sephiroth" I believe !

--------------------
John
--------------------

My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
jpeg1
Trouble shooter
Message 5 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Aircraft communications do not use frequencies that would clash with WiFi.  They wouldn't be safe for aircraft to use.

(radio systems engineer speaking)

0 Kudos
jpeg1
Trouble shooter
Message 6 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Thinking further about this, the only mechanism I can think of is that the WiFi might be blocked by transmissions from the aircraft radio altimeters which operate in the frequency band 4.2 - 4.4 GHz.

The WiFi receivers should not be responsive to this frequency, but if the radar signal from an aircraft low overhead is strong enough I suppose it's just possible.  Against this, commercial aircraft all use very similar equipment and I would expect them all on the same path to have the same effect, rather just a few.

0 Kudos
jamesjr55
Just joined
Message 7 of 11
Flag for a moderator

https://www.quora.com/Can-planes-passing-overhead-have-an-effect-on-broadband-wifi-signal

I came across a couple of interesting answers here, might help you with your predicament.

The answer does say that at times due to various reasons airplanes can/do cause interference with the signal.

0 Kudos
jpeg1
Trouble shooter
Message 8 of 11
Flag for a moderator

The aircraft's internal WiFi is of course the obvious suspect, but consider the obstacles. Its signal has to escape the aircraft, mainly from the side windows rather than underneath. It then has to travel many feet down and penetrate a house through the roof and one or two floors, and then overcome the local signals of a WiFi source and device that are only a few feet apart.

The aircraft's WiFi will not be extremely powerful - there is no benefit because it only improves the signal one way and the passengers' devices won't be any stronger.     

0 Kudos
griffin
Alessandro Volta
Message 9 of 11
Flag for a moderator

I did a job at an airport at the beginning of the year and had no trouble with wireless, albeit the aircraft were not directly flying overhead.

I agree with jpeg1 that nothing on the aircraft should interfere with your wireless on the 2.4GHz band, bearing in mind there will be a frequency shift due to the Doppler affect as the airplane moves overhead.

Does the problem happen on the 2.4GHz and 5GHz band?

On the 5 GHz band channels 50 on above are subject to DFS and TPC controls where the Hub needs to scan for Doppler Weather satellites to prevent interference, but that doen't explain why the dropouts only occur when an airplane passes over.

Band S radar that operate between 2 and 4 GHz  can be used for airport surveillance  and air traffic control, I suppose there is a long shot that radar pulses are being reflected off the fuselage and interfering with your wireless.

Airports tend to be noisy RF environments, so they could be a lot of possibilities.

Roger_Gooner
Superstar
Message 10 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Is it possible that turbulence from low-flying aircraft could move cabling or equipment in the same way as windows rattle in some houses.

--
Hub 3.0, TP-Link Archer C8, TP-Link TL-SG1008D 8-port gigabit switch, V6
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM Broadband Connection
0 Kudos