Menu
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

AirPrint not working on SuperHub 3

I know this has been mentioned before, including by me, but I have no found a definitive work-around to printing from iPad/iPhone and Wireless PC to my Wireless Brother Printer.  A few days ago the Virgin internet went down and, for whatever reason, when it came backup I found I could not see my printer.  It has a fixed IP address of 192.168.0.60 and used the Virgin Hub3 192.168.0.1 as gateway.  But when I http'd to the Hub, the printer was shown as 192.168.0.23 (or some incorrect number).  The printer could not be pinged etc.  I was NEVER able to airprint from iPad etc to the printer (except for a brief 10 second period after the hub was rebooted). 

I have now found a workaround.

I had an old Netgear WRN2200 Wireless router and set it up as an access point (1) Configured the wireless, (2) Set it to 192.168.0.200 (4). changed DHCP of virgin superhub to only dish out 190 address 192.168.0.10-192.168.0.199) (5) DISABLE DHCP on the netgear. (6) MOST IMPORTANT - Do not connect ANYTHING to the WAN (Internet) port of the netgear (connecting it to the virgin hub via the WAN reprograms the netgear to 192.168.1.1!). (7) NOW connect any LAN port (say port 4) to the virgin superhub. (8) lastly set the gateway on the printer to 192.168.0.200.

Hey presto, it all works AND I can now, for the first time since I got the superhub airprint to the printer from my apple devices.

This info may appear somewhere on the boards, but since I've just discovered it I thought I'd mention it.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: AirPrint not working on SuperHub 3

Or deleted the reserved IP for the printer from the hub and factory reset the printer and reconnect to the hub again?

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

I have had wifi Brother printers for many years and only ever used Apple devices. I have never had a single problem printing to any of them on any device - in fact its one of the main reasons I replaced an old one for a newer one - that and the fact that the cartridges (third party) never clog if it hasnt been used for a week or two.
My solution has always been - never to use VM Hub's wifi - I only ever use third party equipment for wifi connections that - in my case - all Apple gear (Extreme routers and Expresses). I suspect you could have also solved the issue by switching off the "smart wifi" and renaming the 2 SSID's in the Hub3 settings.

--------------------
John
--------------------

My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Weirdly, the fixed IP address was assigned to the printer when I reinstalled the drivers when I bought a new Brother printer to replace the old one.  Both printers are DCP9020CDW laser printers, so clogging is never an issue.  After some while I started buying cheap(er) toner cartridges the transfer belt unit started shedding lumps of belt (not a good state) and I couldn’t really use it. Not sure if it was the cheap cartridges or just bad luck.  It was more cost effective to just buy a new printer, given it comes with new (albeit reduced capacity) toner cartridges. I love the fact that laser is just so fast.  

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

I’m not sure I was using the smart WiFi, as I always rename the SSIDs, passwords, etc.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

By smart wifi I meant “channel optimisation” - in Advanced>wireless>smart wifi - tick the disable box and save settings.

--------------------
John
--------------------

My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos