Menu
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 1 of 12
Flag for a moderator

AirPort Extreme (as router) to HUB 3 (modem mode) then 3 Linksys Velop's

Anyone know if it'll work?

My HUB 3 is just useless. I already have an AirPort Extreme and I'm considering buying Linksys VELOP's (x3 as Mesh system). I'm pretty sure I could connect the Velop's to the HUB 3 directly, but I'm hoping I can keep the AirPort Extreme in between as router. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 12
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: AirPort Extreme (as router) to HUB 3 (modem mode) then 3 Linksys Velop's

The Velop website is not 100% clear but it certainly looks to me as if the system is purely a meshed wifi access point and has no routing or firewall features at all. On that basis you will HAVE to keep the Airport as the router (disable the wifi features on it though), so it'll go

VM Hub (cable modem) >>> AIrport (wifi off just actinbg as a router) >>> Velop wifi system.

No reason at all why this won't work perfectly

John

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 3 of 12
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Hi John

That's good to hear. So confusing all this! Fed up with dead zones around the house, so I'll order the Linksys now and prepare for a whole Saturday of setting up! Thanks for your help. David

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 4 of 12
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

I have the SH2 in modem mode with the Airport Extreme as my wireless router - works great. The signal is a little weak in one or two places but I bought a couple of Airport Express's off eBay (~£15 each) to extend the wireless signal to there - they work great - my V6's both show 95% signal connectivity there. I think the Velops work in the same way as jem said.

--------------------
John
--------------------

My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 5 of 12
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

@DC_19 wrote:

Hi John

That's good to hear. So confusing all this! Fed up with dead zones around the house, so I'll order the Linksys now and prepare for a whole Saturday of setting up! Thanks for your help. David

No worries, you'll be fine!

Use the divide and conquer approach, with the VM hub in modem mode and your Airport working make sure you get a good wired connection through it, then kill the wifi on the Airport. Only when you are happy that this is all working OK do you unbox the Linksys devices and start setting them up - otherwise if you run into issues, then you won't be sure where the problem lies in the chain.

John

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 6 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Hi, thanks for the reassurance! I do have 3 airport expresses at the moment, but one (furthest away) is always dropping out - I'm hoping the Velop's will provide better wifi throughout. Hoping it's all going to go smoothly over the weekend...but these things rarely do! Cheers, David
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 7 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Thanks John. Might be a daft question, but I'm a bit confused about killing the wifi on the Airport. I'm thinking the Airport is hard wired to the HUB (modem), but then everything is wifi from then on. Are you saying one of the Linksys need to be hard wired?

David
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 8 of 12
Flag for a moderator

I don't have one so this is a slight bit of speculation but I would think that the Velop system completely replaces your existing wifi rather than act as an extension to it.

In fact I've just downloaded and had a read of the manual for the system and as I thought, the first (main or master) node is cabled directly to the router (the Airport in your case). I suppose you could leave the Airport broadcasting wifi but just never use it but that seems a bit pointless.

There is a subtle but fundamental difference between wifi extenders and a fully meshed wifi system.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 9 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Or look at mesh systems where the first unit is the router and the nodes connect by wifi - that way you take the Extreme out completely.
e.g. Netgear Orbi

--------------------
John
--------------------

My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 10 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Hi John

Ok, I understand now thanks. I've ordered the Linksys set so will see how it goes.

Looks like I'll have the VM Hub wired to AirPort Extreme, wired to Linksys No1. That leaves me only 2 more Linksys to get around the entire house wirelessly....currently 3 airport expresses cover this area, but not very well. I'm hoping I won't need a 4th Linksys.

Just to be really daft...the reason to keep the Extreme because it's a better router than the VM Hub...is that right?
0 Kudos