cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Advice on router that is not working. Return period near. Worried and anxious.

slimcraigy
Dialled in

Hello everybody I have posted on here before about my router not working.

I had started returns process twice and then decided to persevere after admitting defeat initially. Tried various solutions. Thanks to all who suggested.

It is nearing the 30 day period and I need advice what to do about it as if returned I may not get full money back due to the second time I spoke with the retailer (A*****n). I was put through to a tech after explaining I was trying to fix in case of future issues with other routers and for my own sanity more importantly. I think the tech wrote that the firmware would need to be original for full refund. I upgraded on first or second day when it was working properly I think and can't roll it back. I had to reboot computer after it froze and then had new return code sent. Every reset hard soft etc. Same firmware.

I only did not want to send back with passwords on and was trying to diagnose issues.  I said I wanted to reset myself. It's driving me mad and my anxiety is going through the roof. 

Should I be honest here and say that I tried factory resets and it won't go back to original stock factory firmware? Send back and hope for refund. I can't even roll back to previous firmware from a save. Or from the website as I don't know which is correct? I don't want to have get peanuts back for it if it comes to that. 

I want it to be fair or full as promised initially but I need to know before I send it back how much I'll get if I can't do as they said the second time round. I think they said this but rebooted computer and lost chat so I don't know now.

It's this firmware business that's got me all pent up inside that I'll get half what I paid when I tried solutions.

It hasn't really been as expected anyway and I thought it would wipe the floor with hub 4. It would if pods were not around and after I got a strange speed increase when downgrading from gig1 to m600. Amazing connectivity everywhere virtually. Not as good since reboots but still better range. 

Had no idea that would happen and it still be superior in range with pods. Not stability though but that's a compromise. It really was poor before this and new router was a lot better range but not as good as I had read.

What would you advise I tell them and if I should send back. I jumped the gun buying it due to an not knowing the future and an engineer commenting the bad hub speeds would be better with own router.

Wanting a mesh system or just something that works quick with good range probably mesh now though it's a shame the router interface and features were great.

How do I approach the retailer? What would others say/do or if I have to keep and get it working I will need an expensive same brand router to mesh together. Any other options?

Regards Craig

7 REPLIES 7

Andrew-G
Alessandro Volta

Returning the router:  Reading between the lines because you haven't been clear, sounds like you've flashed new third party firmware onto a router (eg Merlin)?  If that's the case then chances are that you've voided the warranty, and unless you can revert to OEM stock then you've got a router that you'll have to keep or sell on eBay.  Under consumer law you have no return and refund rights if you've modified a device other than changing settings as per makers instructions.  You could try boxing it up and returning it anyway, but if Amazon get the returned router but refuse the refund who knows what then happens.  I think you're taking a hit on that unless somebody here who knows about such things can talk you through re-flashing stock firmware.

You're using the Hub 4 with pods, right?  That's giving you a mesh-like setup, so why are you saying you want to try a mesh system for?  You mention stability as an issue, despite good range and coverage, and an implied need to reboot the hub.  In that case there's potentially a problem with the broadband side of things, and if that applies whether you use a standalone router, mesh, or the hub + pods then you'll still have any broadband problem.  Have you looked at the hub's status pages, have you setup a BQM, or tried other diagnostics?   Regarding pod channels and such like (eg your last post in your other thread) the pods really should only be used with all settings set to auto/intelligent wifi, the pod system is designed to be controlled by the hub, not to offer user control.  What exactly is the problem you're trying to fix here?

And for heck's sake, don't buy another mesh or router system until you have (a) come to some closure with the one you want to return and probably cannot now, and (b) there's some clear idea of the problem you have and what the best way of fixing it is.

To back up on what @Andrew-G said, if you have flashed the router with some other third party firmware not from the original manufacturers then that could be an issue. On the other hand if all you have done is to check for an update either directly on the manufacturer's website or if the router had an automatic 'check for updates and apply' function - then that's not only perfectly fine but positively encouraged and absolutely shouldn't cause you any issues.

If you have used a third-party firmware, then all you really need to do is to manually download whatever the latest version is from the manufacturer's website and install that over what's already on it.

In either case, factory reset the router to make sure that nothing is left on it (passwords, setting etc.) and return it.

And, absolutely, do not spend any more money on additional equipment until it's clear where the issue lies - if it's a cable connectivity problem, then your experience will be poor regardless of how much you spend.

newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Hi slimcraigy,

Have you tried to reset the router back to factory settings? Hopefully that will overwrite any third party you may have installed.

https://www.digitalcitizen.life/reset-asus-router-factory-settings/ 

Dave
I don't work for Virgin Media.
I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge.
Problem solved? Click to mark as a Helpful Answer, or use Kudos to say thanks
The do's and don'ts.
Keep the community welcoming for all. Please read the FAQ's
The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali

Hi Andrew G sorry no it's normal firmware not Merlin I deliberately avoided putting that on till I understood what it did or could do. I still don't it's all baffling to me.

The problem I was trying to fix was range and stability. I don't know about BQM is that the broadband monitoring system?

Yes I tried other diagnostics in so far as asking what problems may be to others. I pinged the gateway and got full response.  In my basic limited knowledge. without being told what to do I may not know how to run some tests without being told how properly and obviously can't interpret results.

I think I accidentally checked for updates once in the GUI. Though may have updated it that way on 1st 2 says or was working properly.

All I found in search engines at first were Merlin based anyway. It is definitely just most recent Asus stock.

It's Asus stock firmware just later than the factory version. That's what I mean I could try to upload/ rescue tool back to stock but I see it says it should be version 3.0.0.384 from the sticker. Manufactured in 2021.

I mean I did read somewhere the 30 30 30 method put Asus into auto update mode on another model even though I may have updated firmware on first or second day I can't remember now if I actually did that or not.

Asus I now know takes you to Asus support page then you have to click on that then another type your number model number in and download firmware.

I think it updated in the GUI as I only found the Asus download pages recently when thinking about flashing stock f/w back.

On Asus website there is no such number it's longer version 3.0.0.4.384.81369 as an example ( I just checked) or such like depending on time released. Some are eg. 3.0.0.4.384.12345  and actual is 3.0.0.4.45713). That's the closest I remember anyway.I can't see but there are so many similar. 3.0.0.4.384 so could be any of them. Now on version 386 not 384.

They said in the beginning don't worry we would reset it. I'm scared to try and flash back using the rescue tool. Does this actually put the original firmware back on?Looks to be for users who have encountered other problems.

Why a HARD factory reset wouldn't do this is beyond me. I may have to tell Amazon then by the sounds of it I had no idea I may have to send back and thought f/w update was important.

As far as consumer law it worked a couple of days then connection refused so I don't know if that's a fault or whatnot but said range was poor having read so many decent reviews I thought it would be a better experience/speed than it turned out to be. Being locked out of the settings page via browser refusing connection isn't great either. I thought it was back working at one point then wouldn't login so I don't know. 

I have basic knowledge but not the lingo etc 

The basic problem I was trying to fix was range and stability. Going off what an VM engineer said who set the hub up I was convinced I needed to buy a router as it was really poor speed at first. 11mbs to 20 maybe vs 20- 50 or so with m100 at the time on hub 3. So stability and drop outs are a problem still. 

Asked virgin to check the outside too once they out a splice in the cable and said it was fine now but TV still flashes/ hops during faster scenes. Next door had an extension and we had the cable stuck out door s while. Still needs buryin properly again. I believe there could be an issue on outside line as main box went really slow but seperate new box was fine. Though I would assume they come in at the same point VM said it was a temporary issue affecting all boxes which was obviously a load of...

Bought router to solve issue of speed. But got a pod and thought it wouldn't fix the speed but maybe the rangeti.

Tried troublshooting all issues broadband and router even asked if virgin could block me. All sorts I tried browsers  http sites checking installation etc. Had success I thought with some it cm back in then went off again.

Not ran diagnostics that are advanced don't know how to interpret,/ get onto advanced things like that.

Was pessimistic after reading about others reviews pods would work.l They aren't easy by any means. They don't tell you optimisation has to be on etc

Until the "magic" downgrade sped things up a lot even after engineer visited again. I think there were some intermittent issues there is more often than not here.

Range has improved now but the speeds are up down up down. Pods are on auto channel optimisation anyway and if I try to change to manual channel, apply then re-enable optimisation it needs a reboot to work.

I thought channel optimisation was supposed to be auto anyway which is required for pods to work as it whites out any other settings.

Whether they are all working properly I don't know as VM had to set up pod 2 adding and removing both over the phone and rebooted with speed downgrade but still better than now. That took forever and a few departments.

Ideally having fewer signals with dedicated channels in a mesh would be more stable.

I can't think about a mesh now if I can't get a refund anyway. I don't have a lot of money but a little spare and wanted to invest in better equipment and so I'm no longer solely reliant on virgin for everything and these pods are free atm but would be 5 a month eventually and a poor solution according to others. Probably have issues due to so many simulataneous broadcasts/ overcrowding.

If I'd known I could get mesh around the same price/ bit more for decent system as well I would have done but thought the Asus would at least cover the bottom floor with extreme speed/range

Engineer had been out twice anyway and nearly a third time. I know when I tested on gig1 samknows realspeed was hitting too speed occasionally but a lot of times it was 440. Then when I went down to m600 I get 580+ (touch wood) usually now so whether they were being truthful about intermittent issues (again) I don't know. Just as soon as it went down 150mb/s most places on 2.4g

So I would have been happy to do the Asus only or with extender but the pods and magic speed or f/w update to hub 4 or whatever causes it have made things better though big speed drops/ erratic tests.

Asus seems more stable but slower in front of it and farther away but speed and range suffers. 2 things it was supposed to excel at. Sometimes I have factory reset and speeds have gone up to 50. Usually 35 tops max. When it does virgin went up to 90 temporarily.

A shame as I like the interface and could put a VPN on if I found out how. Future security. Other features I don't know about would have been good to investigate.

But I'd rather invest in something and be self sufficient in future as I may not always have these pods free forever in current package and they are temperamental especially when unplugging or changing sockets not coming back online etc. I know what is available and also would be nice to have WiFi in the lib/shed built in garden. Also while I have some money spare just not loads.

I jumped the gun really but hindsight is wonderful.

I just want good WiFi that will last after my contract is up with virgin. I'd also like a bit of choice when it comes to set up.

My neighbour has mesh system and his signal is fantastic even though my wall.

I thought on my budget it was unobtainable a pipe dream possibly overkill. Was influenced by an engineer from VM who first visit said router would be best then next time mesh systems are best.

I was asking here to better find out my returning options and better less erratic/.temperamental systems than WiFi pods. So basically bought a router that's useless as is ATM.

I wish virgin gave you features that Plume does which is what they basically are Plume superpods.

I'm glad I have them but would like a working system on my own when contact runs out.

As far as Amazon I don't know what to say now. Wish I could find the last chat but only the 1st comes up. So whether I should keep or say look I tried getting it working.  

Thanks for replying and regards Craig

Hi newvapollo thanks for replying it's Asus stock firmware just latest version smd won't reset to original mate.

Done hard resets power cycles all sorts and just stays on same firmware regardless. It's stock/ Asus not 3rd party version on the sticker just says 3.0.0.0.4.384  and on Asus website I can only find firmware that is in the 384 bracket but eg.  3.0.0.0.4.,384.38927 or other similar but different names depending on releasee date.

Either I installed via the router GUI forest couple of days or did it by accident as you can check for updates in the GUI and it installs for you I presume.

There is a rescue tool but it's complicated and I don't know the exact stock version. Should have more numbers than it does on the sticker.

I may have to be honest with Amazon see what they say but I don't know. I don't want to try it myself in case I mess it up and don't know if the rescue tool restores default firmware and is complicated.

Why did Asus design it like this. Fine or you want to press reset and soft reset it but hard should return to default.

They only mentioned this the second time.

Maybe they meant it has to be stock firmware not just stock original but think it likely.

Amazon said they would reset it first time. Second time computer froze and needed a reboot and can't even see the chat with the exact wording.

Annoying and it's due by Friday so hope they don't think anything elsw. I wanted to know what I had done of anything to see if I could fix it anyway and buy another router or mesh system confident I wouldn't have the same issue. If I needed to anyway.

2 returns set up and both I decided to persevere.

I downloaded Merlin but didn't install that as I didn't really know what it could do tbh.

Pods and magic speed increase on downgrade complicated things too.

Anyway thanks again and regards Craig.

newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Hi again Craig,

I think you are over worrying.

You haven't downloaded/installed any 3rd party software or firmware such as Merlin.

The Asus router will be like most other routers, including VM's hub. 

If there's an update available it will download and install it automatically once online without any intervention from you.

Just return the router to Amazon/the seller in it's original box as unsuitable and await your refund. You don't have to give them any further explanation.

Dave
I don't work for Virgin Media.
I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge.
Problem solved? Click to mark as a Helpful Answer, or use Kudos to say thanks
The do's and don'ts.
Keep the community welcoming for all. Please read the FAQ's
The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali

Hi Dave thanks for replying it didn't notify me again for some reason.

It's just having already said I'd return twice now and not done and then saying what they did I'm weary.

I may have to check with them again I get full refund.. If I could find the chat I wouldm

I think I know what the issue is now. 

I had small success before though then got booted out of that page as soon as I tried logging in. I'm not getting ahead of myself and as I said previously range still not as expected

Tbh it is unsuitable for the house poor range. Slow 2.4g. I didn't think hey let's get one that fit under the shelf under TV and move useless DVD player. Only got about 6/7 inches to fit something there of I wanted to.

No picked a slim tall one so could be hidden behind TVfor others and fitting there didn't crossu mind

I really like everything else about the interface etc. But I don't want to end up with a partial refund. 

I will have to explain why it's took me till a few days and two previous return attempts but was trying to solve the problem so of I bought another router/system the same thing wouldn't occur again hopefully.

If I can get full refund I will of not I'm going to ask how much because it's not that difficult to restore to original I don't think. Rescue tool. Otherwise it's decent but falls short of what I have now/ expected. 

Should I ask of I'll definitely get refund m it's only way. I don't Wana be passed to a tech again anyway. Original bar an upgrade lol. Hope they don't knock it off for that. O have to be very careful what o say and how I say it

I can't have screwed 3 antennas on wrong? They're identical I thinkm Was thinking should I try better ones but still the speed baffles me.

Connected in right order etc. I hope they still have deals on what I was looking at if they refund me. Either that or get a better pc first.

What mesh oils you get by the way rbk50 Vs deco9 plus. That's of I get one now. O qkist pray those pods don't play up

Thanks for replying Dave