Menu
Kevin252
Joining in
Message 1 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Advice on home network and WIFI options

Hi all,

(Sorry for the long post, but trying to provide useful and relevant detail).

I’m trying to find the best overall home network/wifi solution and am after a bit of advise, I’ve done a bit of research but am pretty over whelmed with all the products out there.

My current set up is just a simple ISP provided Netcomm NF18ACV which performs okayish, the wifi range isn’t very good. I’m also only on 100/20 fibre, but will probably bump that up to 1000/500. My house is a 2 level, 3 bedroom, 2000 square foot wooden construction. The ONT is located in the garage and there is Ethernet wiring to all bedrooms and the lounge, which is where my router is.

There are a couple of dead spots and wifi isn’t the best, especially upstairs which is what I want to rectify.

Initially my thoughts were to replace just the router and see if the makes a difference. I was considering the Asus RT-AX58U, only as I’d heard it’s a decent router with good Wifi, and I’ve been happy with an Asus dsl router in the past (plus I may be able to get a good deal on one).

After doing a bit of research I thought a Mesh solution sounded good and was drawn to the TP-link Deco M5/M9, it sounded like it good solution. I liked the simple design, it has VLAN tagging which means I could ditch the ISP router, and I liked the Ethernet backhaul option... though by using that it essential makes it a router with a couple of WAPs? D-link Covr 2200 also looks good and very similar to the M9 too. I also liked the Amplifi HD router too. Though not the design of the Meshpoint antennas but potentially consider buying 2 routers set up with Ethernet backhaul. Though the Amplifi HD seems to lack MU-MIMO?

Option 3 would be a new router and a new wired access point both with the same SSID. My knowledge of these are limited so not too sure the best options with this setup.

Appreciate your expert opinions and suggestions. Budget wise, not looking to spent too much, so ideally under $350USD would be great. (Also options here in New Zealand maybe a little limited and more costly compared to the US, so that may limit my options).

Thanks

0 Kudos
gary_dexter
Alessandro Volta
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Re: Advice on home network and WIFI options

This is a UK Virgin Media support forum

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi
0 Kudos
kpanchev
Dialled in
Message 3 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Hi, given the area you need to cover, a good mesh system will be the option to go for. It could be combined with a decent router to do the routing/firewalling bit if you are not sure about the built-in router functionality of the mesh system, but otherwise get a good wifi6 mesh system (or whatever is best for your budget) and this will solve all your problems.

0 Kudos
Tudor
Alessandro Volta
Message 4 of 4
Flag for a moderator

As you have Ethernet cable to every floor, all you need is a good Wireless Access Point on each floor. Take a look at the Unifi range from Ubiquiti. They are the manufacturers of the Amplifi.

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2
0 Kudos